My first Nem.

G

I am lookin to purchase a BTA this weekend maybe. I was just wondering if anyone could help me figure out if my setup is right for one. I have the following:

75 Gal Tank with 30 Gal sump (approx 80. gal total water volume)
Running a fuge, Protein skimmer and phosban reactor.
Water temp stays constant at 78.9, pH at 8.0 and po4 at .03. Nitrates 0, trites 0 and ammonia 0.
Have 4 T5s over the tank driven by IC 660's.

Is there anything in particular that I should look for? I know my post is vague, but I can't find any solid info, everything is so different. Thanks guys.

Try and buy one off another local reefer...I have almost a 100% better success rate with them over ones from LFSs. This more so applies to carpets and sebaes, BTAs are pretty hardy. Your powerheads out of the way? Nems love to end up in them when they are doing their initial float around the tank looking for a spot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

And make sure the one you buy is attached to something, looks inflated and healthy.(colored)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

@AHL_1901 wrote:
Try and buy one off another local reefer...I have almost a 100% better success rate with them over ones from LFSs. This more so applies to carpets and sebaes said:
+1 My bta ended up in my powerhead twice before landing.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

When I introduce it to the tank, should I just turn off my powerheads? I have 2 Koralia 1050s in the tank.

I would. New 'nems are almost guaranteed to go wandering early on when introduced to a new tank. It might just blunder into one and get pureed.

I wouldn't shut them off completely but off and on throughout the day or turned down if you can. Otherwise they eill find a spot they like with no powerheads on and may move again once you turn them back on. Won't matter either way. Just keep an eye on it after you kick them back on in case it does not like the flow.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

I put a sponge cover over my powerheads and put a little filter floss over the overflow grates until mine settled in.