My first anemone

TexAgReefer

Premium Member
I finally got my first anemone! It's a rose and while its moved a little, has seemed to come to rest in a decent spot. It's bubbles are very large and it's been open and full since the day I got it(about a week now). Any helpful tips to keep it doing well? Just sitting back, enjoying it and hoping to see the clowns take to it soon.

As long as the anemone has a good feeding response you are safe. You can expect it to sometimes retract or inflate more as it is adjusting, but doing this a lot of frequently is a sign of trouble. I killed my first anemone, but my second one split in to three, I sold off the smallest chunk and it is doing fairly well:

You can take a look at a video of them now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2_BMY9F23E

They are under 100w of LED lighting in a 90 gallon. Relatively infrequent water changes since family is watching it and they are fine. If this is a true sherman rose then it would really be hard to kill.

Just remember after each good meal they will have an equally good poop! They look terrible when expelling waste so don't freak out.

So once my anemones got to their current size, they actually just grab mysis out of the water and my clown fish steals the odd hunk of fish from my goby and feeds it to the anemone. Bubble tip anemones don't need a ton of target feeding, in my experience the right amount of flow/light is more important than the right amount of food. A new anemone also likes to stabilize a bit, I found mine didn't have the strongest feeding response until a few weeks after acclimation. How is the anemone doing now?