My anenome looks horrible

I've had an anenome for about a month and it looked great for a while. Even a couple weeks ago, my clown fish started hosting in it. After it started hosting, I noticed it looked like the clown fish was eating at the anenome and even had some of the bulbs in it's mouth. The anenome kept getting smaller and smaller. Now, it is almost always closed up and when it does open up, it is tiny compared to when I bought it.

I can't imagine it being because it doesn't like the location because it would have moved somewhere else on it's own, right? The water parameters appear to be fine for the test kits I have so I don't think that's the problem. Is the clown fish killing it?

thanks for your help.

It's quite possible that the anemone doesn't like the clown ...

My clownfish is so rough on anemones, every single one we got would hide, and eventually die from lack of light, they would get so tight into a rock.

However, it's also true that they may take to each other, but it will take time. If the anemone has never hosted before now, adjustments are necessary. I seem to remember that anemones don't host, naturally, and grow better without a fish. Of course, my memory isn't that great :wink:

Hopefully, someone else will pipe up....

Actually, Cathy, isn't it the reverse? Anemones in the wild don't survuve without a clownfish protector (at least in the tropics.)

Just checked my favorite clown ref, and yup, it's been studied. "When the clownfishes are removed from clones of Entacmaea quadricolor, other reef fishes swarmed over the area and all the unprotected anemones disappeared (presumably eaten) within a day." (Wilkerson, p.23)

Have you read the BTA article yet? It is linked at the top of this forum.

Not sure if your doing all these things but here is how I take care or 2 anemones that are hosted.

I target feed every other day.

control of water conditions with anemone is VERY important. If your salinity is going up and down do to evporation this will effect them. I use an autotop off system to control this.

The other thing is they are very perticular to PH if your PH is moving up and down they will get very sick. I recommend and use Iboinc ev 2 part system to control your PH. This works WONDERS for me.

Also they dont like alot of water flow mild to almost none.

I have 2 clowns that trade anemones all day LOL they love them.

Good luck hope this helps