My 300g DD inwall natural reef

blureef2

Membership Expired
So I finally decided to buy a 300 Deep dimensions for my inwall build with fishroom, the fishroom will be in the garage so insulation and ventilation will be a must. Here is what I have set as far as equipment goes..

Have
300g DD tank with starfire front.
DCRS 250 ext skimmer with RODC pump and neck ext.
RO automatic shut off collection cup
3 reef breeders photon24 series lights
tunze wavebox

Here is what I dont have and are looking for opinions.

Pump- I am looking for something like RODC pump for my main pump. I want to stay with something energy efficient.

Sump. Looking at a 75g tank to be converted into sump or melevs reef sump.

Nkt sure what kind of controller yet.

Gfo and carbon reactors.

I think I want to do a natural reef. I have always been fascinated with the filterless tank at true percula. With its corals caulerpa and huge corals just looks like many of the reef I have been diving in. My tank should be here next week and work on fishroom will start then. I should be taking tons of pics to post. As always all comments are welcome.

Looks like a good build. On the return pump the DC pumps are a good option. We have (2) on our 300G for returns but I would plan to oversize the pump if you can. This is for two reasons one is because I don't believe the head pressure ratings on the DC pumps and two is for a 300G tank you will likely need (2) return pumps. If you size for your exact requirements then you will run them at close to max power which means you will be less energy efficient. Over sizing means you can run them at half power and be more efficient and expand the life of the pumps. Also the DC pumps don't seem to handle 90 degree bends in the piping as much so try to not have any. The DC pumps are super quiet also which is nice but each will also have it's own controller.

For your sump I would go larger than 75G if you can. 20% water changes on a 300G tank means 60G of water. We have our set up so we can do the complete water change by only emptying the sump so we don't have to mess with the actual tank or stress out the fish as much. In a 75G sump you will have some sand, rock, etc that takes up space for water so you may not be able to get 60G of water in the sump.

For the controller we have used Reef Angels & Apex. Both work great but we seem to prefer the Apex.

so some goodies came in today, the diablo skimmer is a monster, not sure why but this one came with a RODC 500s pump. But thats cool I am not complaining. Also got the neck extender , overflow switch with canister....

great skimmer. You will be happy with it. The RODC style pump you got is the newer version of their DC pumps. One thing to note on the skimmer is the drain valve is higher than the fittings to the DC pump so if you ever need to empty the skimmer all the way you will need to finish draining it by loosening one of the threaded coupler fittings.

So I picked up tank today, didn't have a lot of help so i ended up getting a trailer so we could just roll it in and roll out at home. No stand yet so it will sit in garage until I get stand built.

Not much has happened on the build,been busy at work. I did however go to DNA and picked up a tideline 48, this is a truly massive sump, I like the lid over the two filter socks. Also on a whim I decided to pick up a Radion XR30pro, this thing is bright. I must say I was bracing for a mad wife when I got home, but she was amazed with the light. I am now going to get a few more radions and some T5 for supplementation. Also got two RODC 500 pumps today so should have those soon.