My 1st bta - 1st anemone

[:nod:

I have added my first anemone. I am establishing a 40 gallon reef tank. I have a maroon clown which hosted with the BTA within 10 seconds after entry. He hasn't gotten away from the BTA for 3 hours now. Also in the tank are two Blue/Green Chromis and one yellowtail damsel, along with snails and crabs. I'm anxious to see if the BTA stays put or moves around. Photo's attached.

http://dglenn2.photosite.com

Sure hope this works]

[Yep, it worked. Keep up the hard work, so you can enjoy it for years to come. Mine are over 2.5 years old now.]

[BTA did move overnight in the dark about 6 inches. You can see by viewing the slide show on the web-site. The maroon clown simply will not leave the BTA for more than a few seconds and I have seen the clown return food to the BTA (pretty neat). I also fed the BTA, using a turkey baster.

Koga57]

[My GSM clown is the same way. It is very cool seeing them feed the BTA! Keep up the good work, tank looks great! :beer:]

[I freaked out: I was adding a toadstool to my 40 gallon and while checking the salinity, I noticed I was just a tad low. I'll tell you why below. After adding the toadstool, I took out some (very small amount) and added some with higher salinity. Lord, my anemone freaked. It went from a coffee cup saucer size to the size of a 50 cent piece (for those of you that can remember those) in less than 5 minutes. Well, I thought I had already killed the thing. I called around, and was told that if would most likely survive. Well, within an hour, it expanded again and I could breathe all over again. They must be unbelievably sensitive to salinity changes. The toadstool is doing GREAT.

Now to something I cannot understand. I am purchasing RODI saltwater from LFS and I am NOW learning to check the salinty before adding it to the aquarium on water changes. I have had unbelievably HIGH salinity once and unbelievably low salinity on another visit. Be glad when that Kent SALT comes in. Then I can buy RODI water and mix my own.

Koga57]

[Koga -

Tank looks like you're off to a great start.

Anemones are very sensative to changes in water conditions. Once you've had it for a while you may even start to notice that your little fella appears to have a personality.

Also, IMO getting water from a LFS is risky. There are dozens of stories of people screwing up their salinity, ridiculously high phosphate problems, or getting just plain old tap water.]

[I agree with getting your own ro/di from Marc. He's a good man to deal with. Also get a refractometer that will be extremely accurate. You can't depend on the hydrometers or your LFS.

By the way, your tank looks great and I love your BTA. The color is very pretty.

I also like the way your pics are displayed in your photo album. That is very nice!

Cindy]

Edited By Cindy on 1110123175