My 150 RR in wall project plus Re-seal - NEVER MIND SOLD -

G

I finally settled into a tank I can be happy with. I found a couple that was selling there 150 RR tank because it formed a leak. They tried to fix it in a hurry while thier corals and fish sat in a bucket and did a bad job. They just didn't have the luxury of letting it sit for a few days and fix it.

Here's a pick of the seal job . They put silicone over the leak without stripping it down, then filled it and it started leaking again. So they put more silicone over it and guess what happend.

They gave up on the tank and bought a new 150 RR. So, that's where I come in and hopefully get this nice tank a try and re-store it to glory. :)

I plan on making it a inwall but will have to do some planing. The tank measures 72 x 18 x 28. the wall space I have commited to this project measures 84 x 24.

When we built the house this was the space I liked and had put into the plans. It leads into the hallway to the bedrooms.

Well after driving to 2 Home Depo's , 1 Lowe's, 2 Wal-Marts, 1 Petco , 1 petsmart and finally went to an Lfs and found the silicone for aquariums.

I scraped all the old silicone off last night and cleand it and let sit over night before I start to put the new silicone on.

Hopefully by Saturday I will do a leak test. I will give the new silicone atleast 2 days to cure. Will that be long enough ?

thx - Kieth. yeah, I figured 24 hrs but to be on the safe side I want to make sure it settles before filling with water.

Okay , coming along very slowly.

I finally stripped the old silicone and added the new one. Haven't water tested it yet. i need to raise the tank alittle higher off the ground incase there is another leak or the same leak isn't fixed.

I picked up 100lbs of old live rock to be seeded with my live rock from my 29gal.

I also picked a sump for the tank. Okay so here's my list of what I have so far.

150 RR Tank
2-250w 10k Ushios
1-400w 20k XM
sump ( gallons not sure )
120 lbs live rock

What I need : suggestions are being taken
Pump ( return and skimmer ) 90% sps so need alot of movement
Skimmer ( ? )
calcium reactor
silica sand white ( limestone from HD not to happy with the color )
another 30-50 lbs of live rock tonga branch

IF you are going to do manily SPS and want quite a bit of flow I would do a search on RC for faux sand beds..I am in the process of doing this in my tank, and love the way it looks...Its a great way to get the flow you want but not go BB or worry about sand kicking up...I did mine on starboard so I can take it out anytime I want.....

Albert, I'd suggest taking a look at this skimmer. Even though it shows a 300g+ rating, I'd guess it's probably more like 200g to 250g. Right in the range you'd be looking for with a 150g tank and sump.

http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=496

I've got the NW150 on a 105g tank. Price is good and it's working great.

Well , I finally got around to water test my new silicone job and was happy for the first 5 hrs when it didn't show a leak. I woke up this morning and checked to see if it was a success.

%&@#$* I had a small puddle quarter size at the end of the floor at the corner of the tank. Filled the tank at around 6:30pm - 5:45am .

So back to the drawing board. RE-DOING the silicone job.

Albert...

Did you strip the silicone from the entire bottom or just from the small section that was leaking? I would suggest stripping from the entire line that was leaking if you didn't already do that. I would also apply silicone on both inside and outside.

GL!!!

I didn't do the underneath of the corner. The orginal owner did and I took it off.

Okay , an update. slowly but still working on this project. I did finally re-seal the tank and have had no leaks for 2wks now. I started to cure all my liverock together new and old.

Here's my curing station. I have a mag7 and an old seaclone skimmer doing most of the work. I put an antic03 bulb over it to help with the coraline.

Okay an update 2/20/07

So far I have been working non stop and finally have time to start this build.

The tank has been leak free since November. I have been collecting hardware to start on this tank. My list now is :

150 RR Tank
2-250w 10k Ushios ( picked up 2 more in the group buy reeflux )
1-400w 20k XM
sump ( gallons not sure )
120 lbs live rock
silica sand white ( limestone from HD not to happy with the color ) picked up in group buy
another 30-50 lbs of live rock tonga branch
Ro/Di with TDS meter
Reef Crystals 2 buckets
Refram. ( spelling ? )

What I need : suggestions are being taken - still working on these
Pump ( return and skimmer ) 90% sps so need alot of movement
Skimmer ( ? )
calcium reactor ( probably wait on this )

I will start the stand this weekend and post pictures and new updates.