MTC Skimmer review

natas

Membership Expired
Not a full blown review but I figured I would post my thoughts on this skimmer.

First some background. I recently upgraded to a 255g tank. I banged my head over and over trying to find a skimmer to match my new system. I needed something strong so most of the options that I looked at were $800 or more. I came close many times to pulling the trigger. I finally posted on the forum asking for suggestions and one person told me to check out MTC and Lifereef. I called both companies and both had very knowledgable and friendly owners. They both explained that there skimmers are built to last a long time and are workhorses. I was also told that all the new skimmer designs out there are pretty much just marketing hype and do nothing revolutionary. Once I thought about it it sort of hit me like a truck. So I ended up going with the MTC MVX. Jeff sold me on it. Jeff explained how his is made a little bit different . I had him custom size it to be exactly 34 inches tall and with the quick disconnection option. Overall with pump it was cheaper than anything I was looking at.

I remember my first skimmer from 1998 and it was pretty much the same design and worked great. It also dawned on me that most of these newer skimmers use dedicated pumps or very expensive pumps that aren't easily found at local shops. Both MTC and Lifereef are a byop (bring your own pump...did I just create that term?). Both suggested the mag pump and for good reason (workhorse pump that you can find at most lfs). I however avoided this pump like a plague. I have owned many and living in Texas you want to do everything you can to eliminate heat. So I looked for alternatives and found the fluval Sp4. And I think it was a great choice. It matches up to the Mag 18 and puts out little heat. In fact temp did not change for me. I guess that dc pump running my smaller skimmer puts out the same heat.

Ok ok enough talk, how does it perform? Well it's awesome. It took 3 days to start skimming and it's getting better and better a week and a half into owning it. The Fluval pump and skimmer together are quiet and make a great combination. It also works really well with a CO2 scrubber.

I didn't do a fancy unboxing video because I was so excited to get it setup. However one thing I want to point out is that he sends it 99% assembled. You take it out, open the lid to grab out bubble wrap and extra nylon screws, cut some tubing to fit it to your pump and bam your done. You also have the option to run it externally. For those of you struggling to find a skimmer look no further. This thing will last way longer than most of the popular skimmers out there. Don't believe the hype of all the "revolutionary" new designs...

Here is a short video and please post questions if you have any.

http://youtu.be/WaNLUs38nP8

I have to echo the thoughts of Natas ... I recently pulled the trigger on the MVC 30" version ... the build quality was amazing ... this thing is built like a tank to say the least ... I put it online and it was skimming gunk out within 2 days ... I am running mine off of the new Vectra pump by ecotech ... I am not sure on the CO2 scrubber, I will have to look into that.