mp40 rusty dryside

Carabelli

Membership Expired
I purchased a mp40 from a friend about 4 months ago ... I finally got around to using it and took the dry side spacer off to find the magnet on dry side is slighty corroded and rough ... I guess someone got some water on it at some point ... I was hopoing I could simply replace the magnet, but, that doesn't look like an option. Is there any harm in using it as it stands as long as it operates fine? Again, this is on the dry side - the wetside is in great condition.

you can take the rubber off and clean the magnet with rubbing alcohol and/or vinegar....then put a thin layer of silicone over the whole thing and let it dry....put it back in its mount and then you should be fine....if you cannot remove it then just soak it in alcohol and then put in the sun for 5 hrs....let it cook out there....then silicone the edges and you should be fine.

should I unscrew the magnet and clean it well? do the screws loosen in typical fashion or are the threads reversed?

That I dont remember but I would soak it first as the rust will make the screws a bear to take out.

Here is an alternative to us sending mail back and forth....look at the pictures here...

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50771

Shows a complete tear down of the pump