MP40 help

K_Red_Raider

Membership Expired
I recently bought a used MP40 and it has stopped working. The dry side is turning but the wet side is turning just a little but not much at all. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Have you taken the wet side apart to see what's wrong? I'd say take apart and check and if nothing found clean and retry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I pulled it apart but didnt see anything in it. I will do it again and look closer and soak it in some vinegar to see if that will help. The wet side is fairly clean so im not sure that will help but it cant hurt

@FiberglassMonkey wrote:
Did you pull the nut off the impeller shafts and check the washer or ceremic piece? Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk said:
No it did not. I did notice that the nut was not tight up against the impeller and there was "slack/space" between the nut and impeller. I wonder if that may be the problem?

There shouldn't be any "slack space". It should be tight with your hand. You should be able to spin the magnet, and it should spin the impeller just as fast. And it should spin a little bit, not stick. ALso, Make sure on the Dry side, you set the spacer to the thickness of your glass.. if set too thin, the magnet will be too strong and it won't spin. over time it'll melt the plastic onto the magnet and you'll have to get a whole new wet side. $99.

@ThanhNguyen wrote:
There shouldn't be any "slack space". It should be tight with your hand. You should be able to spin the magnet said:
Thanks Thanh I guess I will need to get a spacer for the wet side and also have ordered the rubber spacer for the dry side since it didnt come with one. My tank is 3/4" glass so all that I need is the thin piece of rubber. I have it soaking right now and will pull it out in a couple of days to fix it.

It doesn't need to soak that long. Just a few hours. Put it together, and like Thanh said, turn it with your finger and see if it glides smoothly. You can test it this in your hands without the cage in place.

when I took the wet side apart the impeller was a two piece instead of just one piece like my other one. I ordered a new wet side and will order a new impeller so that I have a spare wet side

The two piece is the older one. They no longer sell those. Instead of just an impeller. My advice would be to buy the kit. comes with an extra shaft, nut, plastic washer, and impeller. Does not come with the ceramic washer though. but that shouldn't go bad on you as fast as the plastic parts.