Moving to the Dallas Area

So I start a new job tomorrow in Dallas.  I'm be back and forth from NJ until summer when I sell my house here and find one out there. I've had reef tanks for about 15 years.  Was on the BOD for the NJreefers club for over 10 years was involved in many frag swaps and  even Co-chaired MACNA in 2009.  I've slowing been selling\giving away my stuff here.  It's kind of hard to let this stuff go.  Some of my fish I'd had for 15 years.  I'm trying to decide if I want to set up another tank once I settle in down there.    Leaning towards yes just need to settle in first. So my question to all of you is if you had the option what town would you move to?  My office will be downtown so I'd like to stay with in 30 miles of the city.  Need good schools for the kids.   Been looking in Rockwall\Allen\Plano areas?  anyone live in those towns?  

Well, you are already used to heavy traffic, high property taxes and high home prices so nothing down here should shock you.   Personally of those 3 you list, I would go with Plano.  Realize our public transportation isn't great so you will be driving most places.   Tolls are high here so keep that in mind.   I like the Allen area but they only have 1 high school so they don't have to divide up their football players among several schools, so it is a big school.  You might want to look at the Frisco area.  It is north of Plano and they have a small school philosophy.  They will have I believe 8 high schools next year.  They had 1 when I m0ved here in 2000. Not sure what you are used to up in NJ, but personally I don't think there are any great LFS in the north Dallas area.  There used to be a great LFS that had some good SPS in the Ft Worth area but they changed hands and aren't great anymore.Welcome to the area.

Do you want to live in the city (Park Cities area, or north Dallas but have a huge private school tuition bill), sort of nearby (Richardson), or suburbs (Plano, Allen, farther north)?Personally in on the Plano ISD side of Murphy.  No great LFS, but decent ones in a 25 min drive, or on the way home from work in my case. My wife works near 635/75 and her commute is 30-40 minutes.Something I did before moving, figure out where you think you want to live, then use Google Maps to check drive time at the correct time in the morning. Do  this for a couple weeks to get an idea of what is typical. Note that morning commutes are longer when school is in session, so I'd do that in the next couple months.

Just move to Coppell, that way I have someone really close to chat about reefs. :)Quick question; were you planning to move to TX for a while? Your user profile shows you joined 10 years ago...Welcome to TX.