Moving a fish from QT to DT

I am planning to move my first fish from QT to the DT at the end of the week. The QT has about 25 gallons of water in it, and my plan for to replace 5g (20%) of the QT water with DT water twice a day for 3 days as a partial acclimation. By Friday, most of the water in QT would be DT water. Given this, will much drip acclimation need to be done for the actual transfer?

I would think you would still need to float the fish for temperature acclimation and am tagging along on this thread to see what others say.

@Matt wrote:
You need to temp and pH acclimate when transferring over. I would also make sure your salinity is spot on and recommend adding when the lights are out. said:
OK... Salinity is spot on... I can drip for PH matching, but if I use a bucket, (or one of the hang on aclimation boxes), the temp will not be the same. Is there any way to assure the temp is the same without floating a bag?

@Matt wrote:
[I]@Titus wrote:[/I][quote="[I]@Matt wrote:[/I][quote="You need to temp and pH acclimate when transferring over. I would also make sure your salinity is spot on and recommend adding when the lights are out. said:
OK... Salinity is spot on... I can drip for PH matching, but if I use a bucket, (or one of the hang on aclimation boxes), the temp will not be the same. Is there any way to assure the temp is the same without floating a bag?"]

That's really tricky IMO without floating a bag. I think an acrylic acclimation box would be the way to go if you have one. I have been thinking about getting one for this very reason."]
I was planning on picking up a AccliMate Pro at MACNA, but even that is used OUTSIDE of the tank. I guess once you had completed a slow drip, you could increase the rate to allow the water temp to rise a little more. [smilie=worried.gif] I think I am just going to have to hit the LFS and see if I can get some bags from him for floating.

Use a foam box and drip. The temp will be close enough. What kind of fish is it? What other kinds of fish are in the DT.

@1badbluehb wrote:
Use a foam box and drip. The temp will be close enough. What kind of fish is it? What other kinds of fish are in the DT. said:
I assumed that using a foam box was a no-no as I saw one online vendor voids their warranty if you use foam for acclimation. It is a 4" Bristletooth tang and there is nothing but inverts in the DT... This is my first fish moving in there so I am hyper freaked out that I will screw something up after keeping him successfully in QT for a month.

At the end of the day you should do whatever makes you comfortable.

If it was mine I'd probably wait til all the lights were out on both tanks because that's when the PH starts to naturally swing on its own anyway and net his butt and toss him in. That's just me lol.