Montipora's

I have a really big rock that is about 50% covered with sunset montipora, and on the other side some zoo's have resurfaced that I killed to put the monti on it. This has stopped the growth of the monti for now, and has given me some ideas. I'm curious if anyone has one rock with multiple monti's on it? What happens when they touch? Will one take over the other? Just curious. I may leave zoo's in the middle to separate two different monti's or just kill the zoo's and the let the sunset take over the whole rock as I intended. Let me know your experiences.

About 3 years ago I had a red and green monti that touched and begin growing like a wall straight towards the light. After it got to about 1 to 2 inches tall it looked cool, one side red other side green then they started plating the other direction. I will say this with the zoas in the way my montis have always grown over the top of them. Never had a sunset (but would love one) but I guess it would do the same over time.

Sent from inside the shark tank!

Ok, so it sounds like I should just kill the zoos and let the monti do its thing. I wouldn't want a wall in the center of aquarium where I have my rock.

Thanks

I have some Zoas right next to a sunset monti and the monti has been taking the zoas over. I dont think you will have to kill the zoas unless you want a flatter monti cuz mine does have a "hump" where the monti took over the zoas. You can actually see in the picture where there are zoas in the top and bottom of the pic and the hump is where the zoas use to be.

IMG_4752.jpg
alt="">

i had a rock once with diff monti's on it, as long as they are the same kind should be okay....

just dont put a sand dollar next to a purple haze the sand dollar lost....

Yeah I want mine to take the contour of the rock. I had an issue a while back with encrusting montiporas taking over the aquarium. I decided to put them in the sand on rocks to ensure they don't take over. Now I have a couple different kind of corals taking over. LOL.

On the left is where the zoo's are. I will just put some kalk solution on the and they will melt away.

What kind of zoas are those? I would like a couple of them if you are going to kill them:) also if I could snag a little frag of sunset from you that would be great as well. I may have a frag or two to trade you.

Sent from inside the shark tank!

Those zoo's were eradicated. I don't remember what kind of zoo's they are. I have them popping up all over the place in my aquarium. I bought them long time ago and placed them on my rock work and they are about impossible to get rid of. I just purchased a whole lot of sps, but if you have some cool sps let me know. I may trade with you. I fragged a piece for a member and they disappeared.