Mollies for algae control

mediccby

Premium Member
I was wondering if anyone has ever used mollies for algae control as part of a clean up crew? If so what type of mollies are the best?

Plain black or dalmatians work for us. PetSmart and Petco often has them on sale for $1.00 each with your card. Get a few males and females. They will often breed. Free food for your other fish.
Take a few hours or a few days and drip them over to full salt. Mine have done up to 1.029 just fine but I wouldn't go over 1.025 or 1.026 as a general rule.

If you like them as fish then I wouldn't hesitate to get a pair.
If its just for algae problems then there are other options.

@mediccby wrote:

They are completely peaceful. They can't defend themselves other than to run and hide.
Big crabs will eat them.

@Burbarry wrote:

@shse666 wrote:
They are completely peaceful. They can't defend themselves other than to run and hide. Big crabs will eat them. [I]@Burbarry wrote:[/I][quote="I may have to try this out. I wonder how much my other fish will pick on them? said:
"]

My wife loves them But I have a few aggressive fish that I need to get out first.

@Burbarry wrote:
LOL said:
Haha, no really I have a mollie in a tank with a Peacock Mantis and Fuzzy dwarf. I expected it to be gone instantly, but it's enjoying it's life meandering around death.

I plan on getting 2 mollies, 2 emerald crabs, 15-20 red leg hermits and about 10-15 snails. I already have about 5 hermit crabs and 2 peppermint shrimp. The only fish I have in the tank right now are a green chromis, yellow tail damsel, and a yellow watchman gobie.