Mine Urchin

Does the fact that this pencil/mine Urchin has a star on its top make it special? I went to one lfs and they were selling for an elevated price.. Went to another and it was priced just like any other..

I know that they are not entirely reef safe but, I really like urchins..

[attachment=0]uploadfromtaptalk1345507162322.jpg[/attachment]

Thanks for the input..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Just another reason I avoid that LFS like the plague... everything is over-priced

Sent from my HTC myTouch 4g using Tapatalk 2

I know a couple people that use them in reef tanks as a clean up crew so they dont have to use snails and crabs which allows them to keep some "non reef-safe" wrasses. The only problem I have heard is that they are really clumsy so I would make sure your rock work is super stable but they are cool looking!

The only bad thing about urchins is they will eat the coraline off your rock work. I have some lovely pink, yellow rock now with big white chunks out of it. There;'s plenty of coraline on the glass, but they perfer to eat it off my expensive live rock instead.

Cool creatures, though.

And chewing on coraline is a good thing! Seeds it around the tank, and opens the pores on your live rock so that it can more effectively function as filtration.

@Cameron wrote:
Ok.. Now second question.. Would you guys house one in your tank? Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2 said:
I keep tux urchins in my reef. Always have. I do it so I can have more awesomer fish that are known to eat crabs and snails. Just make sure your frags are mounted solidly or they'll pick em up.