MH Questions

I have 48 LED's over my 120 (48x24x24) right now, but I see all of these other tanks running halides and I feel like the corals look so much brighter, happier and grow so much faster than they do under my LED's. I am probably going to take my 24 blue LED's and run them as actinic supplements. A while back I got a 48" MH reflector with two SE sockets, but no ballasts or bulbs, so I have a couple questions.

1.) What size MH should I go with for my tank? I was thinking 250's.
2.) Can I mount them in my canopy without a chiller if I mount some fans pushing air in and pulling air out?
3.) I want the bluest look possible, so which bulb should I go with?
4.) Should I use my LED's for supplements or get 2-4 T5's?

I think that's all right now, but I may have more questions later.

1) I would think a pair of 250s
2) I don't think you are going to get away with only fans and no chiller if you want to run a full 8 hours or so. I have problems with all of my tanks that have 250s on them and just fans heat wise.
3) 20K bulb will be the bluest color
4) I have 2 or 4 T5s on everything but my Hex 35. I think either will be fine. You might want to experiment with a Fiji Purple. My wife likes the extra bit of red.

I sent you a PM earlier. I have 2 MH ballasts, 2 pendants, 2 14K bulbs, (see if they are blue enough and if not keep them as spares) as well as an icecap for 2 - 4 T5s, and all of the wiring for it. The only thing you would need to purchase is a set of T5 end caps for the retrofit.

--H

@ldreefer wrote:

1.) What size MH should I go with for my tank? I was thinking 250's.

I would do 250 or 175 Single Ended

2.) Can I mount them in my canopy without a chiller if I mount some fans pushing air in and pulling air out?

i would get a chiller personally even if you ran just leds it is a great insurance if the a/c goes out

3.) I want the bluest look possible, so which bulb should I go with?

xm 20k, radium 20k are blue bulbs. Reeflux makes a 20k bulb also but i have never used it.

4.) Should I use my LED's for supplements or get 2-4 T5's?

personally if you are going with a 20k bulb i would only use leds for actinics as led actinics give off that black light effect