Mh lights

Kc189

Premium Member
[I am looking for MH lights right now and I need a little help! What kind of ballast should I be looking for? I keep hearing that Elec ballast are so much better, are they worth the extra money up front? One other thing What color bulb should I get, I have 4 VHO's right now 2 50/50 and 2 blue. I really like the colors I get in my tank right now and I have enough room to add the MH light and still be able to keep all the VHO's. Is it a good idea to keep all of them or should I back down to just 2 Blues. Oh and what Wattage would be the best!

I have a 60G tank 40x16x22.

Keith]

[I had 4 VHOs also. I replaced the 2 50/50s with MH and it was alot brighter. I'm using Ushio 10k on electronic ballasts. You'll get as many answers on what bulbs to use as people you ask.]

[Thank you! From what I have been able to find out 2 250W MH with 10K bulbs would be the best for my tank! I am trying to work out a deal with someone right now to get two New IceCap 250HQI ballast and bulbs! I cant wait!

Keith]

[I changed one of my 175s for a 250 and I can't even tell the difference between the two sides of the tank. I was quite disapointed. Good luck with the HQIs.]

@Steve wrote:
[I changed one of my 175s for a 250 and I can't even tell the difference between the two sides of the tank. I was quite disapointed. Good luck with the HQIs.] said:
[Did you change the ballast to match the bulb? They have to match in wattage.]

[Yep, shot another 300 or so on a ballast and bulb, 250 watt style. And... I can't tell the difference! Kinda sucks, huh?]

[Well, now I am kind of glad I was being a miser when I bought my MH/pc setup :D I bought a 175w instead for my 60 gallon I am putting together. Thanks for the comparison got any pics??]

@Kc189 wrote:
[Thank you! From what I have been able to find out 2 250W MH with 10K bulbs would be the best for my tank! I am trying to work out a deal with someone right now to get two New IceCap 250HQI ballast and bulbs! I cant wait! Keith] said:
[Icecaps are supposed to be really good. I like the PFOs personally. The Custom Sea Life isn't bad, but I had one DOA on me, so I'm a little skiddish. I tried the E-ballasts and could never get them to work right for me. Could have been my house wiring or something. Who knows. But they were extrmemly low heat and very small, lightweight ballasts. (A good thing once you've lugged around a tar ballast a few feet.)]

@Steve wrote:
[I changed one of my 175s for a 250 and I can't even tell the difference between the two sides of the tank. I was quite disapointed. Good luck with the HQIs.] said:
[Yeah, but your corals will notice the difference. :;):

It's all about intensity with SPS.]

[I'm using the ARO electronic ballasts from Hellolights, also. They sent me one called "MEGA" but it's identicle to the ARO. They have never failed to start.]