MH lighting optimum choice opinion?

I am about to move to the Metal Halide lighting either to one 400w SE or two 250w SE’s from a current T-5 and PC's setup. My tank which is about 21x52x22 deep a 115gl DAS has 2” glass bracing front and back and 2-2” glace braces 12” from the sides leaving a 24x22 open center. I am pondering two different lighting and reflector approaches.

1. A 36” PFO 36 inch Parallel Reflector 36x12 with two 250w SE’s which if centered in the tank hopefully would extend the bulbs hot spot just inwards of the two glass braces giving me 500w of light.

My fears here are the two bulbs hot spot may center themselves over the glass braces and defuse/shadow the light some, but I like this approach with more distribution of the light with two bulbs instead of one.

2. A single 400w SE and a Lumen Bright reflector 20x20 over the center.

My fears are would the 400w setup be too much light for a tank only 22” deep to the sand bed. There is also a big possibility of undesirable shadows which may later require additional lighting on the two outside sections. Now I like this option because it is supposed to be one of the best reflectors out there, but will this burn my softies, LPS and SPS 8” deep from the water level.

IMO, i would go with dual 250s such as the spider reflector or lumebrights, the 400 will be way overkill for the tank with that new reflector with only 22inch deep. The 250s should do the tank just fine.

@dp1416 wrote:
way overkill said:
Yep that's what I was worried about the most! It is somewhat awkward tho with the glass braces not being evenly spaced for a light fixture to go consistently over the tank.

thanks

you will get a little deflection, but nothing like you would if it was a 12inch center brace. I think you will be plesantly supprised if you try it with dual 250s.

WOOT! DO IT!

seriously though, and ive tried to tell you, hopefully others will chime in more, but i doubt the braces will be a factor...2x 250 would be nice...you know, you could always take my light for an afternoon and see what it looks at before you spend the cash...

As I was writing the scenario it was laying itself out the 2x250 seem to be the better choice. Thanks for the offer that is EXTREMELY APPRECIATED and that will help on the bulb choices.

so, i will see ya around 10am?

btw i charge a solder service fee...hehe...need the new ballasts hooked up...

I've got 2-250's over my DAS 115 and you don't even know the braces are there. I'm just using spider reflectors, but I'm about to move to the luminarc mini's. Orient the reflectors parallel to the front and back for better spread from spider reflectors.

@crash519 wrote:
I'm about to move to the luminarc mini's. said:
What reflectors are you using now. Luninara mini 14.5 x 14.5 I guess your not going to worry about the braces and center them?

EDIT
I see your using the spiders now...