melev RODI unit

I have a melev RODI unit,

Currently when I use the RODI setup as instructed by Marc the ASOV shuts off the unit once enough back pressure is built up after you shut off the good water output.
This way the whole system is pressurized when your not making water...

Why not put a valve on the input water? Wouldn't this be safer? (by shutting off the supply water)

What if the ASOV doesnt shut off correctly?
Or if you develop a crack in one of the casings?
Then water will flow until you get home...

Would there be any problem with putting a valve on the input water line to shut off the unit when not in use?

dont know about all of it, but think of it this way. any valve can fail...would you rather a valve fail where the water output is 100 gallons per day or where water output is 10x that or more? If the valve fails on the feed line side, it will be a bigger mess than if the clean water output valve fails. i unfortunately have been on both sides of this and from personal experience, you dont want the feed line side failing.

I'm thinking of having a valve on BOTH sides.

But want to make sure there is not some reason why its not already done...

I put a valve on the in-going line and I love it. That way i can not only turn off the supply to the system but also turn it off on the other end as well. SAFETY! I have the system hooked up to my clothes washer connection with a waterhose "Y" with shut-off valves. Works for me and nothing is kept under constant pressure which extends the life of it in my opinion.

The ASOV is for the system to shut off automatically. If you want to place an inline ballvalve in the red tubing before the system, go for it. I did the same, only so it would be easy to turn off the water when I had to change the filters twice a year.

When I go out of town, I close that valve as a precaution, but my son knows how to turn it back on if he needs to make more water for my tank.

ro_cutoff1.jpg
alt="">

If you prefer to turn it on and off where the water goes in, that's fine. I would still close the valves after the system to keep it from draining water and prevent any contaminants from getting in.

Be sure to run your RO/DI system at least once a week to avoid stagnation issues.