melanarus wrasse will eat your shrimp!

My melanarus has been a perfect tank mate until today! I went a day without feeding and he ate my 2 1/2 inch cleaner shrimp. My fire shrimp look like lobsters, so we will see if he goes after them. Fire shrimp also have pinchers that cleaners don't .... I hope he doesn't go after my giant fire shrimp but it's possible. My melanarus is pushing 5 inches and is fat as can b.... B careful buying melanarus if u have shrimp

Mines about that big. He doesn't attack my peppermint or cleaners, or blood shrimp for a year as far as I know. If he changes his mind i'll post about it.

Are you sure the Melanarus killed it? Maybe the shrimp just died.... Or... Was it a shell of the shrimp you saw. Shrimp tend to hide after molting to heal

I may need to borrow him! I have a peppermint that is a starfish eater and I can't get him out! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I sure????? Yes I'm sure. I watched him attack it, rip it's tail off then go back grab it and start shaking it. Then all of a sudden I had other fish coming to check it out. I quickly removed the lid and took the shrimp away from the melanarus. The shrimp was still alive w no tail.... Not sure how big yours is but mine is HUGE and I'm talking about the wrasse!!

@PiePuncher wrote:
Am I sure???? Yes I'm sure. I watched him attack it said:
I was just asking the question. I have a 5" Melanarus and 1-1/2" cleaner shrimp with no issues.

Melanurus wrasses arent truly reef safe. Theyre noted to possibly kill shrimp. My last melanurus was abusive towards snails.

I have a large bannerfish that ate my blood shrimp after about 2 months of letting him climb on and clean him. One day he just turned on him and started eating him alive. First the eyes, then one leg at a time, all while the blood shrimp was still alive and I watched.

I have many other large wrasses and none have gone after my shrimp. I didn't think my melanarus would go after them but for some odd reason he turned on them.... :'(

I had a huge cleaner shrimp that my huge yellow coris ate, but not sure if he died or was attacked. Just came in to see him eating him. They had been in the tank together for 2 years with no issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk