Maxspect Razor R420R?

ReefJunky

Premium Member
Anyone using the Maxspect Razor R420R? Looking at options for new lighting and would prefer to stay away from 2x AI or Radion as that's a lot more $$$$$$$. :) I know there was some other posts, they never got much feedback, so hopefully there's been some experience now. ;) ;) ;)

My footprint will be 36x18 if anyone has some other lighting advise. I prefer moreso "box" vs strips/sticks and want to be fully programmable with storm mode, etc

DaveG99 regularly posts how much he likes his maxspect. I would suggest speaking with him about the razor. You might also check out the reefbreeders leds.

@vrba wrote:
DaveG99 regularly posts how much he likes his maxspect. I would suggest speaking with him about the razor. You might also check out the reefbreeders leds. said:
Thanks, I'll look again. And I will check em out!

Although controllable, from some reading, the Maxspect doesn't do storm mode or have a phone app. Although those shouldn't matter as much, if I'm gonna spend that kind, or close to, of dough, I don't want to miss out on any bells n whistles lol.

You can control diys on your phone and get storm mode :) also need an apex to do control.

Sent from inside the shark tank!

I still think the razor is going to be the best bang for your buck and cover your footprint the best. That's why I suggested it to you when we were texting earlier.
Good luck with your new rimless.

@Eckolancer wrote:
You can control diys on your phone and get storm mode :) also need an apex to do control. Sent from inside the shark tank! said:
I have a DIY, and plan on a getting an APEX. Maybe just replace the LEDs with some that are "rapid response" (read something about the lighting requires special LEDs?) and a few diff colors to be full spectrum and keep the current setup? It's what I currently use on a smaller 36" tank.

@b22 wrote:
I still think the razor is going to be the best bang for your buck and cover your footprint the best. That's why I suggested it to you when we were texting earlier. Good luck with your new rimless. said:
Yeah man, I was pretty confident that was the route I was gonna go, but 1/2 the reason i got the MP10 was to take part in 'storm mode' so to get a light that doesn't perform that is upsetting.

***im fully aware storm mode may or may not be something used often, however it is something that completely puts a whole new spin on having your own little ocean lol. It's just something people who aren't hobbiest seem to go bonkers over when they see *good feeling* and who am I kidding, I drooled all over the infinity edge Neptune setup at MACNA!!! :) :) :)

The rapid response is referring to the drivers for the leds. They are less common but you can find them.

Sent from inside the shark tank!

@Eckolancer wrote:
The rapid response is referring to the drivers for the leds. They are less common but you can find them. Sent from inside the shark tank! said:
Ah. Thanks for the info. Ill take my next couple questions regarding DIY for you to PM. Still looking for more opinions/options. Thanks for everyone's input so far!

Get the razor. Ive had all types of lighting and I love my razor. The colors it puts out is perfect and fully adjustable. It covers a really broad spectrum. And most of all it looks sleek. The storm modes and controlling your lights on your computer arent necessary for growing coral. $500 for a quality controlable led fixture is a great deal. There are are a few threads on it at reef central and at nano reef. I really dont know what else to say. All I know is im really happy with mine. The 27" fixture will cover your tank easily. You would need two radions or AI`s to cover your tank.

20130217_154930_HDR_zps46293843.jpg
alt="">

I just got this a few days ago and been playing with it (tweeking the automated setting) ... This is awesome! viewtopic.php?p=812525#p812525

Depending on your fish ... the STORM setting might send some into hiding. Any changes with the lights and my wrasse jumps, the firefish cannot get hidden fast enough.

What attracked me to this was of course the price ...
@b22 wrote:
I still think the razor is going to be the best bang for your buck ..... said:
and control over the spectrum as well as the various time points that give a GRADUAL change ... true sunrise to sunset.

I'm impressed with this fixture!

I've had my razor for about 2 months. There hasnt been a day that I regret buying this fixture. Sps, zoas, and chalices have colored up nicely.