Magnificent Foxface

I got one of my favorite fish and Magnificent Foxface! :D

He hid for quite a while (my cat would jump on the ledge of my stand and scare the detrius out of him) and after almost 2 weeks he is now hanging out in the open quite a bit more.

Enough to notice he is picking on my zoos GRRR :x (I knew there was a good chance this would happen so it's my own fault)

I really like zoos but I like the fish more and I am really wanting to go with more SPS anyway. I think I am going to take the rock of zoos and put it in my sump and see if he will pick on anything else. All other corals look great and it doesn't seem that he is picking on anything larger than the smaller zoos because I have some larger polyps and they are all open and happy.

What do y'all think...has anyone had one pick on other types of corals?

Do you give the fish something to graze on...i have a rabbitfish and an angel that i picked up from other members that were suppose to be zoa eaters i put 1/2 sheet a nori in morning and the rest when i get back from work and since then they have not picked on any of my zoas

It was hit and miss with that. As soon as I saw the zoos yesterday I added a sheet and they seemed to be open more later so I made sure I left him some seaweed today. I will try to make sure he has snacks as much as possible to see if that helps.

Thanx!

BTW - where do you get Nori? I always hear that but have never seen it.

havnt heard of them eatin corals, but i have heard of them beatin the crud out of other fish...mean critter it is...

That's a new one...he hasn't bothered anyone in fact a little on the skittish side. I had a standard foxface in my old tank and he was a model citizen and one of my favorites! :)

I suppose there are always exceptions to the rule though.

yea, killed a sailfin and another cool fish, cant remember off hand. i actually think his death toll is up to 3 fish...

there have been attempts to catch him...diy fish traps, regular fish trap...its a no go...

The Magnificent Foxface is a hit and miss. I have one that is very passive and does not bother any zoos in my tank.
I have never seen one that aggressive :shock:

The one I have now doesn't touch anything (but I'm sans zos anyway) but my last would always bite on my green slier. I rt was quite odd and extremely rare!

I've had a M. Foxface for about 7 months now. It was a model citizen until I bought some expensive zoas. It especially loved all of my blue ones. It never touched the cheap ones! I still have the fish, got rid of all of my zoas, and only keep sps now. I've never seen it pick on any other coral. It's never been aggressive with the other fish and pals around with a Vlamingi Tang.

Mark

MBZ Wrote
It never touched the cheap ones! I still have the fish said:
Well it wouldn't want you to think it would eat just any ol' zoa would it? :lol:

That is what I am going to do . I like the fish to much to get rid of it. Although I like zoas there are soooo many other corals out there that I am sure I can find a replacement :wink:

Thanx for the input!

Mine leaves the zoo's alone and for the most part most everything else. However, lately I have seen him going after small fish... Chromis's and things like that.