Magnetic ballast not working

Opus

Premium Member
I've got a dual aqua medic magnetic ballast and one of the ballasts has quit working. It makes a humming noise when turned on but it won't fire the bulb. I had one of the de posts break and I replaced it. I was wondering if the broken bracket could have "tripped" something in the ballast that could easily be replaced.

There usually isnt any safety on the bulb side of the ballast usually when it shorts it pops the capacitor inside the ballast try checking it just be cafelfull as they DO store charge when good!!

Open up the ballast case AFTER you've unplugged it. Visually inspect it for any obvious damage. The capacitor is very often the culprit. These vary both in shape and size, but usually are white, round, and have two wires coming off of them. It shouldn't look warped, melted, nor have silver stuff oozing out of it.

Here are some pictures of one that melted in my 400w set up.

capacitor3.jpg
alt="">

capacitor1.jpg
alt="">

400w3.jpg
alt="">

400w4.jpg
alt="">

This cannot be fixed. You have to buy a replacement part. If you find this is the problem, look at the capacitor for a model number, stick it in google and you can find a site that sells a replacement. Or you can contact the mfg of your ballast and have them send you the capacitor. You also can call HelloLights.com and ask if they have it in stock.

Thanks guys, I'll open it up tonight and see if anything looks bad. Since it is a dual ballast it should be easy to compare parts.

Does the capacitor require soldering to install a new one? Hopefully not since I've tried to solder a couple of times and never was successful.

No, it will be two ballasts, two capacitors, separate wiring, separate switches.

Wire nuts are all you need to connect the new one if that is what failed. They may be secured with a crimped wire nut. Because ballasts run really hot, I like to get the kind of wire nut that can handle heat. Some are made of ceramic, available in the electrical dept at Home Depot.

Well, unfortunately there is nothing that looks broken. Everything on the 2 ballasts look the same. Could the capacitor break and still look good on the outside?

No, not usually.

The two cords that go into the ballast, have you checked the cords and sockets? Sometimes they can arc and melt.

Have you tried swapping bulbs to make sure one side is really dead?

Try swaping bulbs first. And YES capacitors go bad ALL the time and not show signs. An easy way to test is find a multimeter that check micro faurds and un wire the cap and short the two wires together to discharge the cap and then there will be a rating on the side of the cap stating the micro faurd rating and test with meter and see if the reading matches the rating on the cap with in +- 5-10 micro faurd. If you need any more help I will be glad to help out and walk you through the steps.

I already switched the cords and the other ballasts fires the bulb fine. I had replaced the 2 de brackets because one of them melted. I was thinking that may have caused something to break in the ballast. I emailed Aqua Medic to see what they thought but I haven't heard back from them yet.

How long will a capacitor hold a charge? If I get a replacement and the ballast has been unplugged for a few days, will there still be a charge?

I think so. If you have a rubber handled screwdriver, just make contact with both wires to discharge it. Or don't touch both wires - it's that simple. :lol:

They will hold a charge for several years if they dont have a bleed off resitior. If your cap looks like the one in the pic just touch the 2 wires together that will discharge its that easy, if its and cap with out wires just terminals just take a screw driver and short the 2 terminals together. If you have no way of checking the cap just replace it first they are cheap like 3-4 bucks if that doesnt fire it up sounds like the ballast is toast. Usually when u have a bulb end melt it causes the ballast to pulls excessive amps which usually over heats it and causes it to go out or it burns out the cap.

Well, finally got around to testing it this weekend. I took the capacitor from the good ballast and switched it with the one I thought was bad and it worked. I have put in a order with Premium Aquatics. It is going to cost $30 which is probably a little expensive but I don't think they would have one like it locally. The capacitor has a screw sticking out the back of it which allows it to be bolted to a certain spot in the case.