LSBBA's Pico

LSBBA

Premium Member
This is my pico dedicated to my new daughter. She is only 4 months old but already goes crazy looking at my fish tank in my living room and starts kicking and reaches out trying to grab at the fish through the glass. So, I decided to make one up at the office that she and I could enjoy. I ordered the Finnex 4 Gallon tank with lighting and canister filter combo. I placed it on my desk at work that I have a predrilled hole for cords to run through but I thought they made a perfect place to put the tubes running from the tank to the filter. Very flush! a couple of zip ties later and Awesome!

Equipment thus far has been the following:
Hang on back refugium $24.99
Temperature Gauge $2.99 ( may change out for a new one, I just used one I had extra)
Sand about 2-3 lbs = $3
Live Rock about 3 lbs = $9 (I dont remember if it is 3/lb or 2/lb for the rules)
Zip ties = $0.50

The far right bar going vertical is the intake for the canister filter, the middle bar is the intake for the refugium, the horizontal bar is a spray bar for the out line from the canister filter. I can adjust flow for any type of livestock or coral I get

Very clean, I really like how you managed the cables. I have similar equipment and it is all sitting next to the tank.

Waiting for everything to cycle! Anyone know where I can get my hands on that quick cycle stuff that the club was offering?

Someone had mentioned the clubs having some samples of a competing product from a different vendor.

LSBBA, I bought a 1 oz bottle (the smallest one) of Fritz Turbo start 900 and used it to start my pico and Amphritite's.
I picked up the bottle I used at DNA (they keep it in the fridge up front), and I have been really impressed so far with it.

By the time I could make it out to DNA my tank will already be cycled! LOL I finally went to that place three weeks ago and I have been planning on going for over a year. It is just out in the boonies for me, well, because I am out in the boonies!

How many pics do we use for the first month start up?

And thank you MAtt and Roolick for the information. It is much appreciated

@LSBBA wrote:
By the time I could make it out to DNA my tank will already be cycled! LOL I finally went to that place three weeks ago and I have been planning on going for over a year. It is just out in the boonies for me said:
Curious, what is DNA? Good LFS in DFW? Gotta love dem akronems!

Okay so I ditched the lighting that I bought for the tank and decided to use a Marineland LED strip that I have around the house. My corals did not seem healthy. I see one on the forums for sell at 120 and it is a 36 inch so i am going to assume that me placing a $100 price tag on mine being a 24 inch should not be a problem. I am planning on trying to find a way to mount it to the wall so it doesn't continue to stay looking like "white trash." balancing between two water jugs. That should bring my equipment total to $140.48. Should I deduct the lamp that I paid for but am not using now from the budget? If so it would be valued at $25. So, my total would then be $115.48.

Livestock:
2 x hi-fin banded gobies that appear to be pairing up so.... fingers crossed i'll have a mated pair :) $12.99 each = $25.98
3 x Nasarius Snails $1.49 each = $4.47
1 x Bumble Bee Snail $2.49 each = $2.49
1 x Pom Pom Crab $9.99 each = $9.99
1 x Astrea Snail 1.89 each = $1.89
Total = $44.82

Corals:
AOG $20 at Nextwave
Orange Ricordia $10 member
Mindblown Pally $10 member
Bam Bam $10 member
Orange Acan $10 memeber
Kenya $5 fragged mine
Orange mushroom $5 fragged mine
Mohawk Pally $10 member
Dragon's Breath $10 fragged mine
Chateo $5
Misc Zoa found on rock $1
Total = $96

The Leather Frag and orange thingy behind the acan frag were taken out after the picture to be put back into my main tank.

So now without further adieu let the picture gawking begin

Thanks for the comments! I have some new corals that have healed up nicely that I am going to be putting in the tank today or tomorrow. I am trying to stick with oranges and reds mostly as you can kind of tell.

I heard that that particular breed pairs fairly easy so I tried it. Yes, they can and do jump out but I have a lid I put over them at night. Some acrylic paper holder i bought at borders going out of business sale. I would like to get wes to make me a custom lid.