Looking for frags - Pink, Yellow, and Birds of Paradise Birdsnest

Pole

Premium Member
I have just worked through heavy metal poisoning (aluminum) in my tank that wiped my SPS and some of my LPS, and I am slowly reintroducing frags to make sure the metals have been removed.I am looking for frags of Pink, Yellow, and Birds of Paradise Birdsnest priced reasonably.  If you have any of the above contact me through PM with a price.Thanks!

Personally I wouldnt start with birdsnest.  I find them to be the most touchy when it comes to water quality.  My acro's always outlive things that my birdsnest die off from.

Very valid point.  My birdsnest colonies are always the most sensitive as well.  Might want to try some monticap or easy acros as a starter.

A completely valid point.  I had heard Birdsnest were a good indicator.  I'll start by saying I am newer reefer and still have a ton to learn.  I am completely open to suggestions on what to try though.  I feel like I need some less hardy frags though as some of the more hard pieces were able to survive the crash with little to no visible indication of distress.After having a ridiculous amount of SPS die off on me (all but 4 frags) I ran a Triton test to see if there was something in the water that was causing the issue.  The test came back with a few trace elements that were low (not really a big deal though) and a dangerous amount of aluminum in my water.Recently I have had my Reef Octopus skimmer pump fail and a Jebao return pump fail.  Both of these might have been a source for the aluminum and have been removed.  I removed all magnets that I wasn't sure were completely sealed.  And I found online MANY reports that Marine Pure blocks will leach aluminum into your water.  I had one of their largest blocks that had been in the sump since I started the tank, so that came out as well.I started removal with 125% water change.I have been running a small bag of ROX Carbon and changing it out every two weeks.  At Triton's suggestion I am using RowaPhos to also help remove the Aluminum.  Then to be extra safe, I am using a Poly Filter pad that should turn bright red if aluminum is present (it has not yet).  I should add that I am overfeeding to counter the extra filtration a bit.  Don't want things too clean.I had a large frag of Cooler Champagne, a small colony of Medusa's Hair (had to be fragged to save it), red Setosa, and Forest Fire Digitata survive the crash.  These frags seem to be healthy and are starting to show signs of growth.   I added a frag of Green Slimer and two chunks of Monti Cap to the tank last Sunday and all of the above is showing great polyp extension and signs of healing/growth.My goal is to be fairly certain whether my tank will support SPS by MACNA so I don't waste a bunch of money on frags that will just die in the tank again.  I found that the things that reacted to the aluminum the quickest were some of the less hardy "twigs".  I am watching polyp extension closely, because one of the first signs I saw with the aluminum was the polyps no longer fully extending, and then the absence of polyps all together.  The bases and tips would then bleach.  The bleached areas lost tissue shortly afterwards, and I found that anywhere that had lost tissue had VERY brittle skeletal structure.  I fragged off some of the damaged tips and they crumbled to dust with my bone snips.So yea, any suggestions on what would be good test subjects are completely welcome!  Thanks!    

If you want sensitive, birdsnest would be a good test, and luckily its relatively cheap.  It grows insanely fast when happy, but can die overnight.  I have a collection of skeletons for house decoration and its all birdsnest.If you plan to get any softies from MACNA you should also get some to test.  Zoas are the best indicator in my mind.  If they are not happy they may live for a long time, but will not reproduce.  Typically LPS dont care either way and I cant ever kill frogspawn, hammer, torch, etc.I wouldn't intentionally overfeed if you want primarily SPS.  Softies are what like a little dirtier water.  SPS still want some nutrients, but not enough to where you have to intentionally overfeed.  Also, dont run carbon longer than you need to, it will remove many good things also. 

I have a good size collection of zoas that are all doing pretty well and popping out polyps again.  They slowed a bit from the aluminum but never died off because of it.  The LPS I had trouble with was more the acan, bower, and favites types.   I still have a small colony of Acans recovering, and one Favites that didn't give in.  Hoping to see some growth on these as well.With all the extra filtration, I have been seeing 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates, so I have been doing a bit of broadcast feeding for the corals to add a little extra nutrients in.  Don't really think it is making too much of a difference, but I will keep an eye on it.