Live Rock vendors in DFW area

murraycamp

Staff member
Board of Directors
Hi all. I'm jumping back in the hobby after a 6 year absence and am researching a new tank. Which brick and mortar stores in DFW have quality live rock these days? Thanks in advance for your input.

Hi all. I'm jumping back in the hobby after a 6 year absence and am researching a new tank. Which brick and mortar stores in DFW have quality live rock these days? Thanks in advance for your input.
You don't really buy "Live" rock anymore. Most is dry rock and you seed it by buying some live rock from someone local. The other option is look for someone selling their livestock and buying their live rock. DNA is the only store I've seen with live rock but I don't really pay attention to who has live rock. I'm sure there are a couple of other stores that sell it. From what I can tell most people that want live rock order it over the internet. There is at least one maybe 2 places out of Florida that sell live rock. I've also seen a couple of places selling Australian rock but if I remember correctly it was over $20/lb. Unfortunately you no longer have 4 or 5 different varieties to choose from.

Actually - I may be able to make it work with KP Aquatics. I have used them extensively in the past (when Ken N. was running it) so I have confidence in their maricultured rock.

Thank you! I have considered ordering online (KP, Tampa Bay) but for a 15 g nano it's too much.
If it were me, I would just buy a few larger pieces of dead rock and then seed it with some rubble live rock. I know AquaStudios in The Colony has several different varieties of dead rock. They may also have some smaller pieces of live rock they would sell you.

I had forgotten about Petco. The Petco in Frisco does have some live rock, no clue on price. I would guess if the Petco has saltwater then they would have a few pieces of live rock to sell. I know the Petco in Allen off 75 has one of the larger saltwater selections and they even have a dedicated frag tank.

I just checked out the live rock at Exotic Aquatics (meh) and Aquarium Design (better). The AD stuff looked pretty good/clean.

Last edited:
The Big Little Fish Store (Dallas, at Royal and 75 basically) has TONS of live rock!

Last time I was there, they had picked up dozens (if not a couple hundred) pounds of rock from someone who shut down a tank and there were lots of mushrooms on the pieces they had.

Is a great store in general for any need so check them out sometime!