Live rock in sump???

I have 60 pounds of dead and dry live rock which has been in my back yard for two years. I now have a sump that I'd like to have some rubble rock in for filtration... Can I just hit it with the hammer and throw it in??? Or does it need to be cycled and become "live" again before I put it in? Or will it become "live" again in the sump? Thanks!

You may want to put a small piece of live rock in with it to seed it but if you just throw it in the bacteria will grow on it and it will eventually help with the cycle. Slowly pods and other suck creatures will wind up in your sump and move in to the rocks but it would be a little faster if you threw a piece of live rock in with it.

Be aware though that anything inside the rock that had died and dried up will cause a mini cycle in the tank.

Clean the rock first. I would soak it for a few days in just tap water, changing water everyday. Give them a good hard spray with the hose in all the nooks and crannies, let them dry in the sun and they should be ready to put in. I've done this multiple times. If you are adding these to an existing system you don't need to seed it. It will get all it needs from the water column.