Lights,, - How long to leave them on

[I have dual 175 halides over a 60 gallon tank. I also have access to 60 watts of NO. I have been using 30 watts of the NO with a strong blue tint as a night light.

Is 30 watts too much for a night light? How long should I leave the halides on? I plan to get some actinics later, but have no $ now. ???]

[How long has your tank been set up and running with 30w NO lighting?

What is in your tank? Most animals need rest from light during the night, so they are in darkness for at least 8 - 10 hours a day. Is there a reason you feel the need for a night light?

After you answer these questions, we can address your original question better.]

[I have used the 30 NO for a little over a week, and turned it off twice during that time because my wife asked me to.

I have the light on for two reasons, because I see posts and advertisements for "moonlights" and such. And of course, so I can watch the fish as I go to sleep.]

[So you leave the blue light on all night? Your reef inhabitants see "blue", but don't see "red". I'd put that blue light on a timer, so after you fall asleep, your fish can too.

Many reefers that have a blue light over their tank use a 15w or smaller party bulb. They do it to simulate the moon cycle, and use computer software and timers and dimmers to alter the light a little every night, encouraging their corals to spawn.

I made a blue spot light using a single blue LED that did a great job but burned up in a couple of nights. I never got the right resistor, and it is in the closet awaiting my desire to tinker again.]

[I have 2x250 10k halides supplemented by 2x110 vho actinic on my 90 sps tank. I start my actinics at 10:30 am, my halides come on at 11:00 am. The halides turn off at 9:00 pm followed by the actinics at 9:30 pm. It's kinda like a sunrise/sunset effect.

The actinics are not required but do add to the color. I like the additional blue hue it adds. You can also supplement with your normal output actinics since you already have them, it's up to you.

My totals are:

vho actinics - 11 hrs
halides - 10 hrs

Barry]