Lighting? How Much?

I have been looking all over online for recomended wattage per gallon and get many different results. Currently I have a 55 gallon fish only with live rock. Im running a 2x64 pc thats a 30 inch light on a 48 inch long tank. I want to start adding corals. I have a 48" 8 bulb t-5 thats a total of 432watts I believe. Is this too much light? should I just take out some bulbs and will that work? I originally bought it for future intentions of moving to a 75+ gallon when I get my house. any advice would be great!

It just depends on what you plan on keeping. With that much light, you should be able to keep anything. Just remember it isn't just about light, you need the proper amount of flow and good water quality.

Thank you for responding. Im not really sure what I want to start with. Still researching it and have lots of learning to do. I already have some things popping up on my live rock. Got a nice kenya tree that just come up out of no where and about 4 or five brown and lime green polyps. My main concern is burning them with too much light.

Look into what you want and post a list here, then we can tell you want it needs. Your best bet is to start with some softies and work your way into more Difficult stuff. Sorties won't need a ton of light.