Lighting a 12" wide 90gal

I'm having some trouble finding a lighting setup for the 90gal I'm building up. The main problem is that it's 72" long, but only 12" in width, and most lighting units are 16" wide. I riginally wanted mixed light types, but that may be an impossibility. I'd like to be able to keep SPS and softies, as well as a clam or 2, along with the fishies. It's starting to look like I might have to get one of the Solairs I's, but spending 3k on the unit would put a serious, if not fatal, dent in the aquarium fund.

Can anyone suggest an alternative? (or offer a sponsorship?!?! lol. )

Darby any combonation of PC's VHO's or t-5's will prob work. Well if your keeping sps I'll go with T-5's. You can prob keep the sps and clam but they might not grow fast.

What about this fixture? It's only 8.25" wide. I've got the 30" one and I love it! No supplimental lighting (actinics) but a 14K bulb looks great to me.

What light, Hooterhead? I don't see a pic or link...

I'm hoping to find something all ready to go, as I don't want to have to jury rig anything...

I have a 72" Hamilton w/ 4 SE MH and 2x 160w VHO. It's 11 1/2" wide. PFO fixtures would be real close to the same width as well.

Nifty, thanks Hooterhead. Could you tell me what is the heat gain like? What functions does the timer have?

Thanks Tekdav, I'll look into that fixture too.

Tekdave, I can't seem to find a Hamilton with 4 MH lights, on 3, and it has 165w Actinics. Is that the same fixture? (Protostar?)

If you contact hamilton I am pretty sure they will make one to your specs. Pfo will for sure. I would think the one I have was probably custom made, as its the only one I have seen with 4 mh's as well. I think for your application 3 bulbs would be plenty, and you could even go with 175w to help with heat issues. I am almost sure when summer gets here I will be needing a chiller. I watched my temp last night go up 3 degrees in 8 hrs and my tank is similar in size to yours.

It's the heat issue that has me worried. The draw to the LED system is that there is just about no heat, as well as being able to dim the LEDs via the the timer/computer, but the cost is just prohibitive. Of course, that could change if the costs of having to get a chiller evens out with the cost of an LED fixture....

Found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330193834777&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Sounds to be either home made, or made by a little start-up company. When I enquired about the maker, the seller said replied:
"Like Odyssea, 2 year warranty"

Well if the ballasts doesnt have to be replaced like so many of the odessey fixtures it would be a good deal. Most of the time though you get what you pay for.