LED lighting question???

jtapgar

Membership Expired
So I am building a new tank now that I am moving (http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=90024) and have a question about LED lighting in the reef aquarium.

I have two DJ/Event style LED light panels. Pretty impressive boards, about 12"x18"x2"deep. There are a plethora of lighting colors the boards can create, warm,cool and white lighting. Can these be used in the hood above a tank to grow reef items? Is there a particular reason the LEDs that are used are specifically made for the aquarium or can I use these lights in the aquarium? Not only were they only $150 new a year ago (much less expensive than the aquarium specific ones, but they pack a pretty powerful light punch. Even if the lighting is not perfect, a controller is only about $50 I believe to create whatever color I want.

My only concern was the harsh saltwater environment: sea spray & moisture

Anybody experimented with this? Thoughts?

I don't know if the spectrum of light will be appropriate, but you can place an acrylic shield between the LEDs and the water to eliminate spray on the lighting.

David

I tried my LEDs from my DJ equipment. They don't look but not sure if they are strong enough. Only a meter will tell I guess

@dfwminis wrote:
I tried my LEDs from my DJ equipment. They don't look but not sure if they are strong enough. Only a meter will tell I guess said:
They don't look?

David

@DFW wrote:
[I]@dfwminis wrote:[/I][quote="I tried my LEDs from my DJ equipment. They don't look but not sure if they are strong enough. Only a meter will tell I guess said:
They don't look?

David"]

Don't look bad* my bad.