Leak Testing Length and Method

Pole

Premium Member
This isn't an "emergency" and I hate posting this here, but I couldn't find a better place to post it. ?Perhaps we need a Questions or Newbie forum area.Anywho I have a oldish(?) large tank I am about to start filling with rocks, sand, and water and the more I stare at the more nervous I get. ?I got the tank second hand, I know very little of it's history or origin.The tank is 4'x4'x18" and the silicon seals (I assume it is silicone) is breaking down a bit on the inside corners of the tank. ?It kinda peel/flakes off a bit in places. ?It looks like someone used far too much silicone trying to ensure that the tank was sealed, and this silicone is wearing off?... ?I want to believe this was done some time after the tank was built as the seal between the glass panes looks totally different than the over sized beads of silicone running down the joints., but I can't be sure.There are no gaps or bubbles between the 3/4" glass panes. ?The rim of the tank is secure and completely intact. ?Overall the tank seems solid as a rock, but this old silicone has me worried.My backup plan at this point is finding someone that could come to my house and reseal the tank in place. ?I am hoping to avoid this if at all possible.The tank is too large to move back out of the house to do a leak test. ?I don't have anywhere to hold it even for a week, and I don't think I can get the manpower to move it back out of the house without hiring someone. ?I had 6 friends help move it in, and the tank had to be turned on edge to get get it through the door and it almost killed the 6 of us. ? The only time I am getting the tank back out of the house is when it leaves for good. ??I am left with carefully testing it in place and preparing for the worst.?My plan:Day 1: ?Fill 1/4 of water (tap water) and install my pair of Gyre 150 powerheads on opposite side of the tank. ?Dial the Gyre's up to 70% and watch carefully for leaks or signs of water seeping behind the silicone for 24 hours.Day 2: Fill it up to half full, move the pumps up the walls a bit and continue observing for 24 hours.Day 3: Fill to 75% and move the pumps up. ?Dial them up to 80-100% (what ever won't cause the water to splash around) and observe for 24 hours.At this point I would assume the tank should be safe enough and go ahead with adding rock, sand, and saltwater.?Is this a long and strenuous enough test? ?Is there something else I should be doing? ?Suggestions, comments, concerns are more than welcome. ?Thanks!

You may want to look into having it re-sealed on the inside. ?That's what I did on my 4x3 tank. ?I used James Cox from Lone Star Reef (A Sponsor). ?All I had to do was clean the inside of the tank really good and remove the over flows. ?He came over and re-sealed it in my house. ?It took him a couple of hours and then all I had to do was wait until it cured. ?I waited a few weeks just to make sure. ?So far the tank has been up and running about a month.?His number is 682-707-7540. ?Never hurts to get a quote.

I had to have my 400g bottom resealed. ?Armando with Planet Aquariums sealed it in my house for an amazing price. ?Took him and another guy about 3 hours and I also let it sit for 3 weeks before adding water back. ?It was WELL worth the money paid and I would pay that money again to ensure a used tank won't leak. ?Good luck!

Thank you both for the replies. ?I contacted James from Lone Star Reef today. ?Having someone who knows what they are doing look at it will make me feel much better.You both said that you left it for a few weeks without water? ?Think it would be ok to start building my hardscape and loading sand after a few days?

Your hardscape might ?be ok, but I wouldn't put the sand in it. ?However, you may want to ask James on his thoughts. ?He's knows more about it than I do.

James came by and resealed the tank on Monday. ?The new seals look much better and have put my mind at ease. ?They were dry/no tacky last night.I am re-painting the light stand tonight and plan to attach it tomorrow and finish dry fitting the plumbing. ?Thanks for the suggestions!

Posted by: Pole?James came by and resealed the tank on Monday. ?The new seals look much better and have put my mind at ease. ?They were dry/no tacky last night.I am re-painting the light stand tonight and plan to attach it tomorrow and finish dry fitting the plumbing. ?Thanks for the suggestions!? ? said:
That's great!!