Koran Angel Sick?

SharkSnack

Premium Member
I have a fairly new Koran Angel (approx. 4") that has been doing fine in my tank. She has been eating well....... until today. Her one eye is a bit cloudy, she is breathing rather fast, and her mouth is open constantly. It looks like she can't close her mouth. She is swimming along fine, but I am concerned. Has anyone seen symptoms like these? I am not sure what to do. I have checked my nitrates (10ppm), and the Ph is 8.0. My salinity is at 1.022.

Thanks,

Frank

How long have you had her? What are your other parameters (ammonia, nitrite). Any reason that oxygen would be low? Your pH is a bit low. Other tank inhabitants?

I have had her about 2 weeks. The other parameters are great. The Ammonia and Nitrite were tested last weekend to be 0. I just added a Seio 620 to the tank last night for additional water flow. The only other inhabitant I have in there is a Stars and Stripes Puffer. She is eating very well, and doing geat. She even eats from my hand.

I have Ph buffer on hand. I will use it tonight.

I am not sure what else to do.

Thanks,

Frank

Well - hopefully some other more familiar with fish issue will chime in. I just wanted to get the ball rolling. Could the cloudy eye be an injury? I am concerned about the not eating and fast breathing, too.

I agree with Misty, usually just one cloudy eye is most likely an injury rather than disease, but not always. Are you sure the puffer is not picking on her? How big is the puffer? Puffers are nocturnal and could be harassing her after lights out. S&S puffers can be aggressive to slow swimming fish like angels, especially if the Koran was introduced after the puffer. The eye may very well be a wound. You can treat the eye with Epson Salt, I forget the dosage, I think one teaspoon to five gallons, but you might want to check on that, or I'll check and get back to you, because dosing Epson salt in the display can cause your Mg to rise if you are already dosing it. I would watch the tank from a distance in low light to see if the puffer is harassing the angel. If this is the case I would probably get the Koran into a hospital tank to treat. If the angel is still eating at all she will be easy to trap, but if you wait it will be harder, because it's hard to trap a fish that won?t eat. I have a trap and a hospital tank already cycled if you need help feel free to PM me. Unfortunately, one thing about Korans, once they start to go downhill they go quickly.

Thanks for the information. I will keep an eye on them over the next day or so. I will watch the S&S Puffer after the lights go out tonight. The Puffer was introduced to the tank a week before the Koran, but the Puffer is fairly small and the Koran is about 4" in diameter. The Koran is still in the same condition. Breathing fast and not eating. I just had the water tested again. Everything is great.

Ammonia 0
Ph 8.2
Nitrates 15
Nitrites 0
Salinity 1.024

I picked up some Melafix (Antibacterial Fish Remedy) and Pimafix (Antifungal Fish Remedy). I will try to find out the info on the Epson salts.

I sincerly appreciate the offer of the hospital tank. I do not have one.

Thanks,

Frank

The Koran is now eating again, and the left eye is looking a bit better. She is rubbing up against the rocks on occasion, and there appear to be some spots showing up on her body. Her right side fin does not look well either. Here are some PICs of my Koran Angle. Anyone have an idea of what this may be?

I appologize for the file sizes...... I wanted to make sure the problem areas were visible.

Thanks,
Frank

Hi Frank,

It looks like a secondary infection and some gill inflammation.
Have you seen any parasitic activity?(ich?)

I would suggest setting up a hospital tank and starting treatment with Nitrofurazone, or Neomycin, or Kanamycin.
Whichever one you can find the easiest.
Melafix & Pimafix probably will not do her any good, and could further aggravate the inflammation.

You will probably need to do daily water changes in the HT and redose meds accordingly, to prevent it from cycling.
Ammonia or nitrite in the HT could become deadly, clean water is essential for recovery.

Let me know if have any questions!

Amanda

The Koran seems to be doing better. She is eating now, and her breathing is back to normal. It looks like her body is getting better as well. I setup a 20gal. long hospital tank for her with a Penguin filter and bio-wheel (without the carbon). I am using the Melafix and Pimafix, as well as API's General Cure (Anti-Parasitic Fish Medication). I picked up the General Cure medicine because it specifically mentions Hole-in-the-Head Disease, and the one PICs shows a spot that looks like that.

I am not sure how long I should keep her in the hospital tank though. Is there a rule-of-thumb?

I really appreciate all the information and concern from everyone!

Thanks,
Frank

Very sad news for those interested. My Koran Angle died today. I am not sure what could have happened. He was doing MUCH better and I moved it back to the main tank 2-3 weeks ago. Recently he was starting to act a little strange again. My nitrates were a little high (approx. 30), so I decided to do a good water change and cleaning. I changed out about a third of the water while vacuming out the crushed coral. I also broke down my CPR backpack and throughly cleaned out the skimmer and pump. But, unfortunately I was too late. I am not sure if the stress of me cleaning the tank could have been too much. I did even move some of the live rock around.

Regards,
Frank

Frank. Really sorry to hear this. I haven't had much with Korans either. I believe the Juvies are just hard to keep. You might try again starting out with a little older fish, or something a little more hardy like a French or Regal.

Sorry to hear abiout the loss. Did you end up treating with medication besides the "flix's"? My guess owuld be an interal disease finally won out. Sorry to hear it. It's always best to qt these guys first so you can catch and treat early.

Well regals are not hardier at all and in fact are one of the most difficult to keep.

Koran's are actually reasonably hardy so it's not a bad choice.