Keeping a jawfish from getting smashed by rocks

Im about to get a jawfish soon but wanna prepare for him first. Do yall think that putting plexiglass along the edges of the rocks as a barrier for him not to burrow under is a good idea or maybe egg crate? Will i have to take all the rock out and make a base for the rock? Or anyone have a better idea?

Well the guy before me had the sandbed about nine months and ive had it about 6 . Ill definatrly look around cause ima have to mAke me a cover screen thing for my tank. Do you think a big sheet of plexiglass over the top would be good? My job has a big piece i can cut to fit snug on my tank. Or would that mess w the lighting strength?

My first setup for my jawfish I had one very large main rock on the glass bottom and then added sand. My new setup I have all the rocks raised on cut PVC pipes. She moves around a lot and doesn't stay in one hole for long so the sand is constantly being moved around. Right now she's taken all the sand from the back of the 24 gallon Aquapod she's in and moved into the front of the tank.

Ooooooooo. Thanks for the idea luck !A jawfish will go in that and not burrow in the sand?? i have a barnacle cluster i could make two or three and smash it into the sand!? I like that. I thought they needed long burrows like tunnels thru the tank.

Hey deb have you tried one of those? Their neat looking . Ima make two Or three for now with my barnacle cluster and hope he lives in it!? just hope he doesnt move around too much and not use em
lol. I hear your not supposed to disturb the sandbed. Will this maybe spike my parameters or anything? And how thick a pipe should i use? Oh lol one more question do i fillthat tunnel w sand or leave it empty?

@Demitrio555 wrote:
Hey deb have you tried one of those? Their neat looking . Ima make two Or three for now with my barnacle cluster and hope he lives in it!? just hope he doesnt move around too much and not use em lol. I hear your not supposed to disturb the sandbed. Will this maybe spike my parameters or anything? And how thick a pipe should i use? Oh lol one more question do i fillthat tunnel w sand or leave it empty? said:
No I haven't used it. Right now I need to move her from the 24g to her new home in the 60g and "hoping" she'll go into this PVC setup I used before to move her, but so far I'm not having much luck. It's just natural for a jawfish to take mouthfuls of sand and move it to build their burrow. That's just what they do. So when planning for a jawfish most people put in deeper sandbeds. I had read that if they don't have a sandbed to work on they can become stressed. As far as disturbing the sand, I was very concerned about that in the beginning. But she has moved pretty much all the sand in that tank down to the glass at one time or another. This tank had a 4-5 inch deep sandbed and there have been no ill effects. I had read somewhere they have a sort of slime in their mouth. This little girl moves sand tirelessly all day long...and at night if there's enough light. Even when she went blind for a few months I think the ability to dig and move sand was probably keeping her somewhat calmer.

That second pic kinda looks like that
lil gremlin that was in the toilet in that movie a long time ago. Lol the one that killed the guy when he sat on it jaja

Thanks for explaining and showing me ur jawfish set up deb. A lot easier than i thought now that i saw it. Thats gonna be my weekend project next weekend.

@Demitrio555 wrote:
Thanks for explaining and showing me ur jawfish set up deb. A lot easier than i thought now that i saw it. Thats gonna be my weekend project next weekend. said:
Glad to help. Looking forward to seeing some pics of your set up and new fish when you get him/her. :)

Will do. Aw man i visited a store in houston while i was hereand they had two baby blue spotted jawfish! Ugh i wanted em so bad but they wanted 135 each way too expensive. Going home right now sad???? wish i coulda got em?