Kated416's 120 rimless build

I decided to get a new setup and transfer from my 150 gallon. this is a 120 rimless built by Planet Aquariums. it is 48 x 24x 24 standard glass. here are a couple pics of the setup.

[attachment=1]DSC_0004.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]DSC_0006.jpg[/attachment]

I had built a rock structure in my 150 out of tonga branch rock and took it apart to build a smaller structure that was similar. This time I was able to not use any zip ties or cement to hold it together. it is simply all linked and intertwined to hold it all together.

[attachment=1]DSC_0017.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]DSC_0021.JPG[/attachment]

here are a couple shots of the aquascaping

[attachment=1]DSC_0026.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]DSC_0031.JPG[/attachment]

finally got it all put together, here is the plumbing that Allen from Sturgon aquatics helped me with. the flow on the right is direct flow from the overflow and is controlled by a valve, the flow on the left that goes in to my refugium section is also controlled by a valve and the excess water is directed to the other section of my sump.

[attachment=0]DSC_0007.JPG[/attachment]

I will be adding a few fish and corals in and will update when im done.

here is what I have running on the system:

TS 36" x 16" sump
Reef Octopus NWB 150 skimmer
Hydor wavemaker with 2 Koralia 1150 units
3 AI Sol Blue units
Mag 9.5

Adding this week (waiting on delivery)
Kamoer 4 unit doser
Hydor smart level auto top off

Looks really good. I am in the planning stages of a similar build. What does Planet Aquariums call that overflow? Did they make that stand, if so what color is that exactly?

Looks like a dsa stand and the overflow looks like a ghost overflow.

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

It's their external overflow, I have it on my 90. The ONLY thing that sucks in those, is there is BARELY enough roof to do 2x durso's... I had to use lockline all the way up from the bulkhead (couldn't fit pipe) on the returns.

@Matt wrote:
Looks good. Can't stress enough to consider building a screen top from BRS supply. We've lost 2 Wrasses and a couple Chromis. I also spooked one of the Clowns that jumped out and luckily I was there to notice and she wasn't injured from the fall. I'm going to build one to keep on the tank and just remove it when people come over to see the tank. [smilie=wink.gif] said:
My yellow wrasse jumps all the time. That's why we built an enclosed canopy in ours and used window screen over the tank until we got it built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never thought of that, I have had any fish jump but my baby epaulette shark decided to make my anthias and some chromis dinner. Looks like I'll be sticking with tangs :). And yes it is an external overflow, I prefer that so you don't lose the space in the tank. It is on a black stand. Thanks for all the comments! I'll be posting updates pics here in a couple days

Hi there, what are your thoughts on the Planet Aquarium tanks? I've only heard great things and am getting one built by them currently. Just wanted to hear your first hand experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really love the tank. They had this tank as an extra so they only had to build the stand and got it done very quickly! I am very pleased.

This is a great setup, I have a Planet 180g rimless tank I'll be setting up soon. I may put a hood on it though, as I don't like the light leakage out of the top. Any closer pictures of the sump, as I need to set mine up the same way. Do you have the fuge tee'd off the main drain?