Jena's 240 downgrade to ~100 gallon and ~200 long

jtapgar

Membership Expired
July 31st, 2010 I began my adventure into saltwater aquarium and dove right in the deep end with a massive 240 gallon reef aquarium. Just over a year later I am 6 months pregnant and we are moving into a bigger home closer to the city - to a 4 story town home. Needless to say - I am not sure the second story can bare the load of our tank, so we have decided to down size for the moment. Keeping the livestock we have come to love, personify and name, the rocks, coral and anemones, but moving into something closer to a 100 gallon.

Since we will not own the home officially till March 1st, 2011 - we are waiting to redo the wood flooring which is in desperate need of refinishing. So I don't want to build another massive tank, only to break it down in 6 months, move it upstairs, refinish the floor, and move the tank back down again a week later. The 100 gallon will eventually become a clown and anemone tank I guess, and then will will look into a custom, larger tank. Jon and I were thinking something shorter that our current 30in high, but longer and wider. Still probably close to a 200 but this way the weight would be dispersed a bit and we might have a structural engineer come out to the house to verify possible weight and electrical loads.

Aye aye aye

Since the original tank which took some serious persuasion to talk my husband into, the aquarium has become a central part of our home. My husband - an attorney - has found that after a long day at the office, just watching the tank and all of their inhabitants, personality and all, is very relaxing. I don't think we could go back to not having one.

Anyone want to trade up to a bigger tank and pass their smaller one on to me :)

The original 240 Gallon Saltwater introduction build: http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=73807

So I found a 90 Gallon reef ready tank from another member to help with the move. The think is, it was much nicer than in the pictures when I saw it in person, so, we discussed keeping it as a main tank in the long run. Plus, it came with a custom 48" tall stand that can be seen over the sofa. For now, we are setting it up - I believe - in the master bedroom on the third floor. We close on the house on March 1st, 2011, the wood floors will probably be refinished within two weeks of closing and then we'll work on transferring it all down stairs.

How sad is that! The first thing put in the new home - is the new fish tank!!!

90GallonTank.jpg
alt="">

I need to check tomorrow when I am over at the new place with the painter to see if the stand is all wood. If so, I was thinking of sanding it down to refinish the exterior to match the wood floors in March as well. It is in really good condition short of needing a cleaning though. At 48" tall, it becomes a towering piece of furniture. Perfect viewing height for my husband. Not so much for my short self. But I really love the height for being down stairs because you will be able to see it over the sofa (that we haven't purchased yet) when you first walk up stairs.

48TallStand.jpg
alt="">

Lights were included in the sell. Exact same light set that we have now only a light set shorter. Great that I won't need to purchase a temp set. However, I was thinking of going to LED's this time around. I am a big fan of the lower energy consumption, reduction in heat and the great color.

Lights.jpg
alt="">

Yay! Another sump to figure out. My current sump configuration - well - I'm not doing something right. My cheato won't grow and the chalerpa died off in the refugium :(

Sump.jpg
alt="">

Great skimmer included - much better that mine now. I should probably look up the brand. Came with a pump, seems simple to use, less plumbing than my last.

Skimmer.jpg
alt="">

And the hood. Stand = 48" high, plus 25" high tank, plus 12" high hood = A total tank system that stands about 7' high - wowza!

Hood.jpg
alt="">

Ok. So we got it all the way up to the third floor into our Master Bedroom. Not the second in the living because we don't close on the house till March 1st and I want to redo the wood floors when we officially own the place.

Of course, NOTHING can go right with this move, including the tank, and being severely pregnant is limiting my capabilities in all regards!!!!!

I have a leak with one of the fittings, the bulk head, for the return water supply. I thought it might just be the guys fancy and interesting plumbing, but I got a new bulkhead at the Fish Gallery and it is leaking worse :(

Photoon2011-10-27at1524.jpg
alt="">

Really! My 240 never had a leaking issue. Never.

Going to try to give the inside of the overflow a good cleaning and see if there is something in the way and double it up with silicone like i did the 240 because I was terrified it would leak.

Aye aye aye. Now my new carpet is wet :(

Finally got the leak fixed!

I had to saw the old bulkhead off in pieces from over tightening.

Put a new one on - didn't over tighten it - and it was still leaking!!!!!!! WTH

Really stuck my head up under to get a good look and discovered that the people at North Dallas Aquarium who custom built the tank didn't check their measurement before drilling the bulkhead holes. Part of the trim was in the way of a seal! Went to The Fish Gallery here in Dallas and the guy who builds tanks there told me to get a sharp blade and carve a curve out of the plastic.

It worked! Ya!

Added the salt water.

Added new fine grain sand - I wasn't a fan of the larger grain with crushed coral. Now if I can just get the water to clear up now after putting in the new sand :) Brought a couple rocks over and of coarse a few astrea starfish...grrr Think I am going to start taking them out, letting them dry up in the sun and make jewelry out of them!