Jason's Fish Room of Fun

bbprinting

Membership Expired
Ok so I got bored and decided to wall in part of my garage and turn it into some sort of fish room. Wife said no more tanks in the house, so I moved into my domain or at least what she says is my domain. Not really sure what the final goal is, but at least I am having fun. I have 3 - 24 x 24 x 12 Glass tanks that are predrilled that I am going to have to seriously clean up. My son got tired of his 55 gallon freshwater after 6 whopping months so since it was a birthday present I bought it from him so that I can use it as a sump. Going to setup up one at a time, and plumb them all into same sump. I also have a couple of 10 gallons I might throw into the mix. I think the first tank I setup is going to be a mini-maxi anemone tank, but nothing set in stone. I am open to any ideas, willing to try just about anything.

Here is a shot of the room, decide to do this instead of painting it. Yea I know "What a Dork!"

Here is stand I built, it is 8' long and 26" wide, so it will easily hold all 3 tanks. Aesthetics are meaningless since I am in the garage so no need to skin or stain it, going to leave just as is. I will cover the top of it with the blue foam to keep the water off of the top.

Ok here is a before and after shot of just one of the tanks, this is why I am going to just setup one at a time. I completely stripped out all of the silicone and then recaulked it. I also took off the black rim to make it rimless, these piece were barely connected on the corners so they were only decorative and had nothing to do with holding the side walls together. Each one is obviously going to take a long time so I am just going to do one at a time, plumb it and get it running and then move to the next. No hurry and no timeline.

No I will probably install an exhaust fan but either way these comics are only worth about $.50 each. They were hugely popular when I first started collecting so I just love the artwork. So if they get ruined that just means it's time to repaint, I mean recomic book the walls lol. Funny part is I figured that would be the first question asked

I think it's great. Come do my fishroom. Hehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Melev's Type F sump on my DT, so I decided I wanted the same type of setup and since I already have an almost new 55 gallon I decided to have Marc make the 4 baffles I needed and got those siliconed in, and in the next picture I am leak testing it.

Thanks Dean glad you are tagging along, if you have any idea please through them out. I am really trying to do some different things with these tanks and trying to learn different ways of plumbing them or really I open to any experiments.

Decided to have Marc make me some overflows for all 3 tanks. 2 Tanks being drilled on the bottom I had him make a 3 sided overflow, and then the tank that is drilled on the back I had him make a 2 sided with a bottom, overflow for that one all made of black acrylic.

Got in the bulkheads and locline in from Bulkreefsupply. Quickly learned you are supposed to have a special tool to put and take apart locline pieces. I have seen these on a lot of tanks so I wanted to give them try.

I just snap them together or pull them apart with my bare hands. It let's me feel like King Kong for a moment or two. ;)

Did you get the threaded connection to install the locline to your bulkhead?

No the tank is only single drilled so I put a durso on it for the drain. The return is going to have to come over back, not exactly ideal but I did not want to drill the tank again.

You still need a threaded fitting to connect the locline to the plumbing, whether that is PVC or a bulkhead.

Yes I figured that out too, I basically just bought those to try to figure out how it works, but I am about to place an order today for the tool and a bunch of other pieces now that I understand exactly how it works.

Got the overflows siliconed in and let it dry overnight. Did a leak test all day and everything is good to go. I bought a bunch of live rock from another member and I have it eagerly awaiting in my DT sump.

Also got the bulk heads installed, never have built a durso drain before so I decided to give it a whirl. I quickly realized I did not have the overflows built wide enough to have the correct size 1 1/4" pipe and fittings to be able to fit, so ended up using 3/4" and it was a tight fit, I tested it on a smaller pump and it seems to work just fine. If all else fails I will just make a simple drain pipe since I don't really care about the sound, in fact I really like a loud tank, it adds to the relaxation but then again I have to sleep with a loud fan, ahhhh gotta love white noise.

You can fit a Hofer Gurgle Buster in there for sure. :)