Isaac's 20 Tank B(Log)!

isaac.croas

Premium Member
Howdy doo!

I just started my first saltwater tank 5-6 weeks ago and I will post my experiences and pictures as we go along. I have 4 freshwater tanks, 58 oceanic with saltwater plumbing, a 20 extra tall, a 10 and a 5 shrimp breeder tank, so coming into this saltwater adventure I was a little more prepared than some. Now by all accounts, I'm not going to lie, saltwater is a lot harder, a lot funner, and a lot more rewarding. I hope what little knowledge I gain can help some other new adventurer not make the same mistakes I've made, and knowledge that I've garnered from others can be passed on.

My Build:

Equipment:
20 Tall (Regular tall)
~35 lbs of live sand
~30+ lbs of live rock
Coralife 24 inch power compact fluorescent lighting
50/50 65W Odyssey Bulb
454nm 65W UVH2Ology 65W
Marineland Penguin 200 (200 GPH) HOB filtration
Fluval 100W Heater
Reef Octopus HOB Skimmer (no clue what it's rated got it used at DNA but it works nicely!)
2 Korelia Hydor Nano 240 GPH

Backup - Coralife 24 inch duo T5
10k Coralife 65W PC Bulb

Livestock:
2x 1.5 inch Ocellaris Clowns
Blackray Shrimp Goby paired with
Peppermint Pistol Shrimp (Red Banded Pistol Shrimp I believe)
Scooter Blenny (Just got him yesterday)
2x Emerald Crabs
7x Astrea Snails
3x Nassarius Snails (2 of them are MIA)
2x Cleaner Shrimp (One is large one is small but they both are very quick to try to clean me in the tank and have no problems with each other)
Peppermint Shrimp (MIA)

Future plans for livestock:
1x Porcelain Crab
2x Sexy Shrimp (If compatible with current tank mates)

Reef:
Purple Tipped Condylactis
Sebae Anemone
Small Colony of Purple/Green Zoas (that are currently melting)
2 headed Green Hammer
2 polyp Green with White center Protopaly (about to pop out a 3rd)
3 polyp Light Brown common variety Zoa
Multicolored Green/Blue Mushroom
Small Colony of Green Star Polyps
Kenya Tree

Pictures and more coming tonight/tomorrow!

Building a custom canopy, it's at work with me right now, cause I need to use their workbench. Nailing things on my marble counter at weird angles does not work well, or provide for happy neighbors in the apartment.

Well, I should post some pics of my radically changed tank! Tons of corals, different fish, (most of the same inverts lol)... but in more exciting news... I UPGRADED to a brand new beautiful Planet 75 with external overflow, a gorgeous Heritage Classic stand and a 36 inch TS crystal sump elite from Dallas North Aquariums. I look forward to actually starting a real log on that tank!