Fish Think Pink

Club Secretary
Staff member
Board of Directors
flame-angelfish.jpg

Is the Hobby Getting Too Expensive? Part II Livestock​

MICHAEL PALETTA
1 DAY AGO

As was discussed in Part 1 the cost of getting into the hobby, equipment-wise was surprisingly not as expensive as I had thought. This was the case even when some of the best equipment was being used. Even when inflation was accounted for, it was only approximately 4% more than just from inflation alone compared to 1993. As was noted, this did not include livestock. In this article, I hope to look at the livestock end of the hobby and see how it compares with the cost in 1993.

In this regard, I am certain that the cost of livestock is significantly higher than it was 30 years ago even when inflation is accounted for. As with equipment, I just went back to magazines in 1993 and got the prices for fish, coral, live rock, and live sand and added in inflation which was 212% over the thirty years, and compared it with the cost today. The prices used for today’s prices are the average prices found online. No discounts, sales, or other discounts were included in determining the prices. I attempted to find comparable sizes and colors so that the comparisons would be as equivalent as possible. I had no preconceived notion and I tried to find an average price for each item.

more info can be found in the complete original article: