Is it worth the money??

nemonewbie

Membership Expired
The Neptune Apex System? Or similar alternatives?

What is the minimum equipment, that I would want to start with and build up from there.

I think it depends on what you want it to do and what size system you have. Would I run one on an 8g nano? Probably not. But if I have a Ca reactor and lots of stuff on a large system I would definitely run one.

They have discontinued the Apex Lite so unless you get a used one, your options are the Apex Jr. or the full blown Apex. I would start with a basic Apex setup and learn the controller and programming before adding a bunch of stuff to it. That would be the "brains" of the Apex, display module, Energy Bar 8, temperature probe, and most places will sell it packaged with a pH probe.

My Apex serves as a back-up and failsafe for a lot of things in my system. For example, I have multiple float switches tied to my Apex to shut down my ATO system. Same thing with a salinity monitor so I know what is going on and as a back-up to ATO and multiple float switch failures. The temperature monitoring also acts as a back-up to the built-in thermostats on my heaters and chiller. Leak detectors can buy some peace of mind as well as the ability to be notified of a power loss so you can get back to do something about it.

In terms of convenience, I use my feed modes on a regular basis for not only feeding but for shutting down certain items when I do my water changes or other maintenance. I use a WXM module to control multiple Vortechs. I also use a bunch of reed switches tied to my cabinet doors to automatically turn on and turn off 3 cabinet lights. I'm sure others can chime in with what they use their setups for.

All that said, if the Apex were to die, I could still run my system by just plugging everything into regular outlets as I have a separate ATO and dosing controllers. I am always paranoid about a single point of failure and the Apex is, like any other piece of equipment, something that has the potential to fail. So I guess my Apex is an integral part of my system for monitoring, convenience, and redundancy purposes.

Yes. I started up with apex jr and it's been fine for me. I have it controlling skimmer, heater, chiller(PC fan), pumps and led (via vdm).

It really depends on what you want to automate and monitor.

I do want to upgrade for ph and I/o switches but that's not as necessary for the commonly used scenarios:

Feed fish (button press)
pumps off for 5 mins
skimmer off for 30 mins

Feed fish and coral: similar as above
Pumps off for 10 mins
Skimmer off for one hour

Tank gets warm -
chiller turns on
Skimmer turns off

The jr has 4 outlets which is a limit. To make up for that I run a power strip off one for all the filter pumps and power heads. Also, my fuge light is on simple plug timer that I used for Xmas tree lights.

I'm pretty sure the other alternatives currently don't have a web interface and relatively simple programming and UX.

I have jr with a eb8 and pm1 And vdx. After having it I wouldnt do a tank without one. I makes everything easier. I got mine on trade otherwise i would recomend fullblown version I have every outlet full probaly will buy second eb8 soon.

Simply Put.

When I added a controller to my aquarium. Reefing became allot easier and my tank became stable. Stability created beautiful growing corals for me.

YES!

I've been using a controller since 2004 and have never once thought it was an excessive purchase. It does what I need, and lets me know when something is wrong.

Before fusion, to some, it was an overpriced light timer but now, everyone should be able to easily set up monitoring as well. I started with an Aquacontroller jr back before apex came out and now have a full apex that I would not do with out. It has saved my tank several times over the years. My brother just set up a 28, his first tank, and I even put one on his.

I have a Reef Keeper elite on my nano, and the Apex full on the main tank. If you want full costumized settings and like to fine tune your tank and have alerts sent to you, then Apex is awesome!. Well worth the price. Temp, Ph, 16 outlets, ATO, MP40's, calcium reactor, and lights, skimmer, all pumps. and a few failsafe switches added.
The reef Keeper curently used as an overpriced timer. But I only use five outlets on the reef keeper, with temp and ph monitoring.

one more thing to add, Many reefers here are very helpful to walk you through the setup of the Apex. I also found google to be very helpful on program ideas. Neptunes forum has lots of ideas and suggestions. Would be good to take a quick search through their pages to see if this is something you would like to do or control.
I also found the Reefkeeper is very simple to setup vs the Apex. but through the years i found there are certain conditions i want control of, or preventions to put in place. This gives me peace of mind when I can check conditions away from home, or status of specific outlets.

Definetly worth getting one used at least. If you are really good at programming you can get away with a used aqua controller 3 or reef angel, but if not go with an apex.