Is Indo shut down hurting LFS selection?

Opus

Premium Member
I rarely make it to LFS anymore.   Just too much to do with kid stuff on the weekends.   Is the coral selection down now that Indo has been shut down for a few months?   My understanding is nothing is make it out legally now other than Australian corals and some soft stuff from a few other regions.

Most of my corals have come from local frag swaps, but whenever I'm in my local LFS, they seem to have plenty for sale.  I suspect a lot of them come from customers looking for livestock credit. I know a few of my old corals are in their display tanks. I don't think you'd have problems finding something you like.

I get most of my stuff from the frag swaps also.   I was just wondering how selection was and pricing.   I've heard MACNA prices were high this year but not sure if that is true.  If Indo stays shut down, prices could really go up in the next year.  Currently, I don't think we have the capacity to support the hobby with just aquacultured corals.

I can't speak to pricing since I haven't bought a coral from an LFS in years.  This is just my opinion, but I think the hobby and its suppliers will adjust.  The selection may be limited and the prices higher (at least for a while), but there will still be plenty of corals for most everyone.  The biggest losers are the people losing their jobs due to the local bans on exporting corals. Someone at MACNA (I can't remember his name off the top of my head) gave a good talk about this. Very sobering.