Info needed, soon to be a seahorse newbie

We are cycling some new reef tanks - a 180 brick and a 60 gallon - plumbed together. But we want to use the 60 gallon for seahorses and a few mild-mannered gentle fish and a few corals.
How long should this new set-up be up and running before we get seahorses for the 60 gallon? I have read 6 months. Do you have advice different than that? Also, what would be a reasonable number of seahorses for a tank this size? After reading many of your posts, I am fearful they will have babies before I am ready for that!
Thanks, Brenda :shock:

I read somewhere probably http://www.seahorse.org, that you could have as many as 15 in that size tank. Of course not all at once.

The concern you have about fry before you are ready, just get same sex horses.

I did an overkill when we set up our SH tank. It cycled about a year before we found the Shs we wanted and co-ordinate the shipping/delivery with our schedules.

Welcome to the Board.

As long as your tank is well cycled you can add seahorses. Just don't add them all at once. Be careful who you buy them from and be sure to qt new horses as they are added.

What are you planning on putting in your reef? Wild caught fish can carry pathogens that could be transferred to your CB horses. Also what temperature are you planning on keeping your reef at? Even tropical seahorses do best with temps at a max of mid seventies. And seahorses can be shy under bright lights.

You may want to rethink plumbing the 2 tanks together. I know I wouldn't do it.

As for fry, if you don't want them, give them away when they are born, I'm sure you'll find some takers here.