I'm just starting

[Hello DFWMAS, I am so glad that I have found this site. I am starting a reef tank and I have enjoyed reading all of the available information. I have a 42 HEX that so far it is sitting there staring at me, wanting me to hurry up.

I am taking this very slowly. So far I have a 3 to 4 inch sand/crushed coral base. I mixed the sand to coral at 2 lbs sand to 1 lb coral. I have three power heads moving water around and today I bought some base rock to start my aquascaping.

For lighting I am going to go with power compacts but I have to first constuct a hood.

I would like to thank everyone on this site for the information provided and hope to send pictures as I progress.]

[Hi Richard,

Welcome to the board. :) So far, it sounds like you are right on track!]

[I'm new to this as well but have been warned about putting rock (live-rock) on top of sand because there are fish or whatever that tunnel under the sand and could compromise the rock and make it fall over. Can someone confirm this?

Welcome to the group. I have found it to be a great source of knowledge. I recommend (as I am doing) reading as much as possible.

Dan]

[If you don't buy digging fish (gobies), you don't have to worry about that. My LR is on my DSB (deep sand bed), and only shifts a little bit from time to time because of my Tigertail Cucumber.]

[Another thing you can do is put your rock in first then sand. That will secure your rock. Or if your doing a Deep Sand Bed (DSB) maybe put a couple inches of sand and then the rock and then the final few inches of sand.

Either way should be fine unless you have some very large burrowers!

With nothing in your tank now it should be pretty easy to move the sand and then kinda bury the rock. That way it can be secured.

Having said that I have had mine on a 2" crushed coral bed for 7 months now not buried at all and have no problems. I do have cucumbers but no gobies.]

[Last night I spent a few hours aquascaping the Tank :p . I found my rock at a place in Pottsboro. I think it looks pretty good. It was harder than I thought to get it to look right in a hex shaped tank.

I still need a few things before I go any farther, I still need a skimmer and another power head. As money comes available I will do alittle more. At least the tank is not totally empty :D]

[What works well also is to cut pieces of 3 or 4 inch pvc pipe into 3 inch pieces. Cut several and place in the sand and place rock on top of the pvc. this way the rock is still supported even if the sand shifts.

If your going to have a 3" sand bed cut 2" pieces. that way they are still covered with some sand. Be sure the rock is supported on the pvc.]

[I did that. I put five pieces of 1.5" PVC pipe into the sandbed. I just stacked the rock. I wiggled it alot to ensure it would not tump over. I really would not like to have a midnight avalance through the side of the tank.

Thanx again to all the help. If the 42 HEX works out I have 2 55's that will slowly be swaped from fresh to reef.

I believe my wife can see by the twinkle in my eye that I have found a life long expensive love. (Counting her that makes two :laugh long: )]

[Welcome to the site and the hobby! I enjoy my reef daily and I couldnt think of a better family hobby than this. My son and daughters enjoy helping and doing the tasks on the tank. LOL we call it our 60" TV!

Andy]

[I agree with the family aspect. All of my kids are into keeping pets and they are all for following along and helping me with this project. Four of my five kids were out helping me wash rocks and sticking thier hands in the tank to put that special rock in just the right place.

The zoo at my house is varied and going to get bigger. Fish wise I have a 55 gal planted chichlid tank, two 10 gal tropical (great nite lights for the kids). 2 rabbits, 1 cockatiel, 1 lizard, hermit crab, 1 bassett hound and that is just on the inside.

Wish me luck. :suspect:]