Ich

JumboAg99

Membership Expired
[I think my clown has ich. :cry:

He seems pretty miserable right now. He's spending his time near the sand bed twisting from side to side (almost like he's scratching himself). Lots and lots on small white specs on his formerly shiny orange scales.

In all the years I've had fresh water tanks I've never had a problem with it. Now my first salt water fish has bubonic plague. :so sad:

FW is easy. You dose, fish heals.

SW - I don't think is so easy....

What (if anything) can I do for the little guy without harming the inverts and corals? The tank is already just a 10 gallon, so quarantining him is not currently an option.]

[Sorry to hear you got "the spot". Everybody runs across that at some time or another. For good reference reading on Ich, check out this article: http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/marineich.html

For the preferred method of cure in a reef tank, this is a great description and step-by-step implementation of the hyposalinity method of treatment for ich:

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/hyposalinity.html

In addition to that, anything you can find from Amanda is right on topic. She knows her fish, so her advice is wisely taken.

Good luck in whatever you choose for treatment!]

Edited By BigTex on 1096213809

[Hmm since you already have it in a 10 gal and you dont want to seperate it into another QT tank youre options are very limited.Theres only a few things I can think of that you can try and they will involve spending more $$ and you can get another 10 gal set-up from walmart for $19 and qt the fish and rid your display of this beast.Read Amandas article and youll see the life cycle of the parasite is 4 weeks from egg stage to death - therefore Most people let thier display lay fallow ( fishless ) for 8 weeks to ensure the parasite goes through its entire life cycle w/o a host. I did this with my 1st 55 gal after my 1st fish infected my display , after that no fish gets in my display w/o a 3-4 week qt period.Heres the options IMHO that you have since you dont wanna qt him.

#1. Cleaner Shrimp - It will cost ya about the same as a
10 gal QT would if you dont have 1.

#2 . Feed him Garlic Laced food. This seems to help them a lot

#3. Kick-Ich ? , Rid - Ich ? I dunno the right name but I have seen people comment on it saying they have used it and it works. I myself would avoid it and concentrate on ridding the parasite from my display.

I have an empty 10 gal you can use if youd like to set up a QT. Its my QT and Im currently doen w/ adding fish so I broke it down. Gimme a call at 817-881-6072 If you want to use it.

Andy]

[:cry: Thank's for all of the info everyone. Unfortunately, I will not be able to use any of it right now.

I lost the little guy at some point today while I was at work.]

[AKKK! Sorry man@!! The best thing you can do now is to let it sit fallow for a minimum of 4 weeks, preferably 8 weeks. This way you assure yourself that your display is ICH free and they have hatched and died w/o a host. The offer still stands if youd like my 10 gal qt you can use it. In a couple of weeks get another lil' guy and put him through QT for 4 weeks and when hes done his new home will be ICH free. Im sorry for your loss :cry:

Andy]

[Thanks for the offer Andy. It was the only fish I had so I won't be needing it. Within the next couple of weeks I'll be buying my 75 gallon. Hopefully within a month I'll start the process of cycling it. By the time I'm ready to get fish again in a few months, the new tank should be ready for use. I'm going to take the LR out of the 10g and put it in the big tank or refugium and re-use the small tank as a qt in the future.

It has an HOB I was using for water flow and a air pump driven protein skimmer so it should make for a good quarantine tank for small fish going forward.

I suppose I could post in the for sale forum... "Ich factory: Aquacultured and free to a good home..." sigh.
:so sad:

I really liked that fish too.

I assume that w/o any fish in it the tank will be fine. (i.e. the corals and inverts will be OK.)]