ich and the new guy in town...

Ok... just for the record... I've never seen this stuff before, but can only presume by descriptions that others have provided, that my new 6-line wrasse has the very beginning of it.

Bad part, I've never had a QT tank... :oops:

We bought our last fish for our tank on Saturday, acclimated, watched him/her (not really sure) carefully, made sure it was eating... Watched it play tag with our pair of black ocellaris... Generally making sure it was as stress free as possible.

This morning, I witnessed two small white "things" near its tail-fin on the scales. Maybe two or three of them. They are not flush with the scales, but seem to protrude out about a millimeter or so. I'll try and provide some sort of photos this evening.

I'll be stopping and buying a 10G tank, heater, HOB filter system, premixed saltwater and RO (so I can drop the salinity).

My fear is for everyone else in the tank. What is the general "feel-good" idea for my other critters...
2-black clowns
4-green chromis
1-sailfin tang
1-watchman goby
1-lawnmower blenny

inverts I'm not worried about.

The wrasse will be moved out tonight regardless just to get it treated...
I want to avoid any additional chemicals, so am hoping that the hypo treatment and 6-8 weeks alone will help...

I assume the spots have stayed in the same place and haven't reduced or increased in number? I have had new fish get sand on them that stayed for a day or so, freak me out, and then go away. Hoping it's not ich.

My brief observation showed them to not be moving... Or growing... But didn't look like sand... My watchman has had that after sticking his face in the sand for a snack. These seemed to flutter a bit as it swam by the glass, like it was resisting the waterflow and trying to hang on.

Wes, I wouldn't necessarily blame the new guy.. if you haven't qt/hypo'd the other fish, they could have given it to _him_. If your fish have a natural or acquired immunity to ich, the occasional spot could go unnoticed.

The reason I mention this is that it would really bite to qt / hypo the wrasse only to have him ich'd again as soon as you put him back in the tank.

At this point, you can assume you have ich in the tank, and at least one fish who doesn't have an immunity.

My wife is gonna divorce me for this one... I just let her know that we will have to qt everyone in the tank...

I tried to put a good spin on it saying one tank will end up as a frag tank, and the other as a future qt/hospital tank... She wasn't impressed. :sad:

With all the effort of moving the wrasse into a QT, the spot is gone...
Just to be safe, we're still moving everyone out for hypo treatment.

The fish with the biggest concern for this will be my lawmower blenny... As he seems to ONLY eat stuff on the rocks and glass.

$140 lesson so far...
10G tank
HOB penguin filter
submersible heater
hood/light set for tank
thermometer
net (larger for catching the tang)
transfer box
PVC T's and angle for hiding.

Going with a 20G for the second QT so the tang doesn't freak... that tank will end up as a frag tank or refugium... Not sure just yet.

amazingly, I'm still married! :p

Fortunately, she agreed that we got away with it this long was just tempting things to go wrong... :)

We're keeping all the other fish in the tank until after her baby shower (2 weeks) since it just looks better...

I'm still concerned about what I'll be feeding our lawnmower blenny...

you might find solace in the fact that the lawnmower in our 60 gallon back home eats nothing but frozen now, so there might be hope. Of course now he looks at algae like it's the plague, so kind of a catch 22.

Well your lucky it only costs you $140. I hope you can cure this without any losses. It's a lesson learned! Always qt. It's much cheaper in the long run!

Everyone else in the tank is very healthy... And the 6line wasn't showing any issues, just the white spots... With my luck, it will end up being sand that was stuck in his slime coating...

But, Wes, you'll be able to say with a straight face, that your tank is ich free! (assuming you continue to qt.)

Oh I definitely plan to continue... My wife is already seeing some design plans in her head for things I wanted to do... Frag tank, refugium, etc...

First thing is to get everyone out (minus the crabs, shrimp, & snails)... That'll be in the next 2 weeks... then start the hypo on the entire crew at once.