I NEED HELP !!!!!!

this is taking over my tank,dont now what it is and it is killing some of my corals.
? is what is it. how does it get there, how do i kill it. :twisted:
PLEASE HELP ME

Aiptasia...

Numerous control mechanisms... Peppermint shrimp, Joe's Juice, Copper Band Butterfly fish, vinegar injections, lemon juice injections, kalk paste to smother 'em, Berghia Nudibranchs, etc...

Do some research (Google on Aiptasia, or even search this forum) and you'll find a TON of information. Most people end up using a combination of methods to keep these pests under control...

Ive had success with joes juice and peppermint shrimps. My first couple of peps didnt seem to get after them, but my second set did.

so would you recommend peppermint shrimp in the tank before you ever had a problem with a pest like this? I don't have any peppermints, but I don't have many corals yet either. My tank is still fairly new and I am adding things very slowly at this point, but I would like to know if I should toss a couple in the tank.

@gomavs wrote:
so would you recommend peppermint shrimp in the tank before you ever had a problem with a pest like this? I don't have any peppermints said:
If you'd like to have a few, I certainly think they generally make an interesting addition, but don't *count* on them taking care of any aptasia problem as sometimes they will and sometimes they won't. :?

@ashlar wrote:
They don't _have to_ eat aiptasia said:
And therein lies the aptasia control problem, at least for us. I've purchased larger quantities of peppermints and intentionally starved them in a holding tank where all they had to eat was aptasia. They ate it well and cleaned it up. We have since moved several of them to 3 other tanks and in no other case now do they seem to be willing to eat it any longer. The food available for them in the tanks seem to be preferable to the aptasia. I believe that if the tank is feed well, it's not real likely they will venture very far (if any) at all to eat aptasia even if they've been trained to eat it. On the other hand, it's possible that they may be taking care of the very tiniest ones and allowing any they don't see to get too large for them to want to eat.
We have also been using them to 'pickover' any zoo colonies that we've added recently in the hope that they *might* disturb/eat any of the zoo spiders and/or other zoo predators. They really go over the polyps *much* better than I can and for a few days they really seem to scour them well. I can't prove yet that they are eating/helping to control any zoo pests, but it sure appears like it.
I like them in general and they will sometimes spawn and produce lots of little foods for the rest of the tank too. :)
Doug

i have 2 perppermint shrimps in my 90 and i see an occasional aptaisia but it is never there long, they do a good job taking care of them