How to culture Rotifers

rotifer.jpg
alt="">

Purpose
Live rotifers can be cultured to feed your tank like phytoplankton, but bigger. It will help pods to reproduce. It can also be used to feed corals. It is necessary for raising some fish and seahorse fry

Saving a culture
So what you want to do is first save a small bottle in the refrigerator, it will last about 2 weeks. this is so that you can have a culture to restart if yours ever crashes.

Container
then w/ the rest of the culture, you can keep it in that bottle, or pour it into a larger container. i read it's recommended to use a 5 gal bucket, since you can clean it easily.

Feeding
Then you stick a bubbler in it. everyday you wanna check the water, if it's clear, then you add some phyto. the phyto should be eaten up by the end of the day or next day. if it takes longer, you're feeding too much, cut back. if it's clearing up sooner than 1 day, then you need to add more. it's trial and error.

Renewing the saved culture
After 2 weeks, take the small bottle from the refrigerator and dump it into the tank or in the sink, rinse the bottle with bleach, then fill it up with new culture.

Cleaning the Container
if you grow your culture in a liter/gallon bottle, then you wanna get a new bottle, pour the top layer of the rotifer culture into the new bottle, and the rest should be sediments and rotifer mix (yucky water). I pour this into the tank to feed, but i also have a good skimmer to take out the extras.

I think this is all.[/img][/b]

Here's a Randy Reed slideshow on how to culture rotifers:

http://theimac.org/

scroll down to the bottom:
Here is Randy Reed, "Culturing Rotifers and Copopods. (About 30 minutes)