How to catch a crab?

thedocisin

Premium Member
Was up before the sun today and decided to look into the tank with a flashlight and found a 1" crab hiding in the rocks. Looked like red/pink mottled color. Obviously a freebie that has been in there for sometime unknown. Not sure if I should be concerned about him being a predator. No obvious losses except two coco worms over the last few months. Any thoughts on how or if to catch it?

@thedocisin wrote:
Was up before the sun today and decided to look into the tank with a flashlight and found a 1" crab hiding in the rocks. Looked like red/pink mottled color. Obviously a freebie that has been in there for sometime unknown. Not sure if I should be concerned about him being a predator. No obvious losses except two coco worms over the last few months. Any thoughts on how or if to catch it? said:
I've always had to stake out the tank at night to catch mine, or just pay close attention over time. They always make a mistake eventually. People have used nylons baited with scallop or some silversides. Some other methods I've heard work before are cutting the top off a liter or 2l bottle, making a small bowl and sinking that into the sand, then baiting it. Other techniques, isolating a few rocks and baiting the rocks then staking it out and catching them on the single rock and pulling it out. I've had to result to direct removal a few times, using a meat fork if they went into a crevice and skewering them.