How to build, moonlight LED's + lid

Hi, it's me again, I have a 26gal(think so anyway) flatback aquarium. The lighting I have is a 36" 110 watt PC fixture (yes it's the one that I got from Bimmerzs, that he had for sale on here) that consists of two 21" 50/50 bulbs offset. I would like to add some LED moonlighting to this, does anyone know of a site with instructions on building my own or know of an inexpensive way to get/build them? Thanks

PS. I also need to build some kind of lid for it that is not egg crate. Any ideas would be appreciated. Tank dementions are 36.5" long by 12.5" front to back by 16" deep. As it is a flatback, it does have the front two corners cut off to make it 6 sided.

Most of these I think are a little too complicated for me. I was thinking the bulbs might have come pre wired and you just had to build some type of brackets or something for them. UGGH...back to the drawing board.

No, $15 is a great price, but I would have to buy 2 of them to fit my tank or just have moonlight on one end as my two 50/50 bulbs overlap in the middle of the fixture and don't allow anything else to be put there. I was considering some thing like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/48-24-LED-Moonlight-Aquarium-Moon-Light-n-Power-Supply_W0QQitemZ160157795790QQihZ006QQcategoryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Maybe try to see if this guy could build one that fits my light fixture. What do you think? Would this kind of lights work? Thanks

do what I did. I grabed a t12 vinyl bulb cover ($5.00) and stuffed it with blue LED christmas lights ($10.00) and the silicone the end covers on the tube and WA LA. mine is 48" long but you can do any size you want. thes vinyl tube I belive comes in 72".

This is what I do on my tanks.
Fry's usually has them cheap and you most likly
have an old power supply around to run it.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_moonlight.php

WoodDragon

@JESCOBEDOIN972 wrote:
do what I did. I grabed a t12 vinyl bulb cover ($5.00) and stuffed it with blue LED christmas lights ($10.00) and the silicone the end covers on the tube and WA LA. mine is 48" long but you can do any size you want. thes vinyl tube I belive comes in 72". said:
Not to derail this ,Do you have a pic of your diy moon light setup?

Well here's the thing when DIYing LED's.

1.) they run in series and they're usually about 5W a piece, relatively easy to put enough in series to power from a small laptop transformer.

2.) The Bright superwhite LED's run about $3 each when you figure shipping etc.

So unless you're doing a really small, or super custom install that requires weird wiring, it just doesn't pay to do it yourself.

My recommendation would be to order the replacement set from Current for their Orbit fixtures.

They are 12 LED and have quite a bit of wiring. It's under $35 IIRC.

Thanks

BD

personally i use blu led pc fans connected to a 12v power supply (power supply is one from my r/c equipment stash) this way i get cooling and moonlights. i run them 24/7 because if they go out the fans are between 5.00 and 15.00 usually depending on size and where you buy them.