How often does your pistol shrimp snap?

I know there's one in my tank but he seems to be snapping an awful lot. At least 5 times in 20min... Is this normal, abnormal? I'm always worried that its the tank or stand doing something it shouldn't be doing.

When I had one, at night he would pop every few minutes. This drove me crazy and I donated him to someone else who could tolerate the sound.

I dipped the rock in carbonated water... there's probably better ways to catch them though.

same for me, every few minutes a POP!

Mine would go through phases...sometimes very quiet and sometimes very noisy, snapping every few minutes. So I don't think it is abnormal at all.

I broke my whole tank down, and scooped him up.

All 180 Gallons and few hundred pounds of Liverock.

It was worth it to me, as my tank is right next to my bedroom wall.

@Danielj wrote:
I broke my whole tank down said:
Wow, that's a lotta work for 1" worth of problem. :shock:

Mine in my 90G pops almost nada during the day, and about once every 5 min or so during the night. Some times he goes off and it's once every few seconds for 5-10 minutes! I have no idea what he is doing, but I actually like the noise. It let's me know he's alive and kickin' Of course, my tank is in the entryway to the house, not my bedroom!

He also has built himself a nice little sand castle with sand almost 3" higher than my normal bed height. No telling how many tunnels he has in there!

lol I decided to do hardwood floors while it was empty, so 2 birds 1 stone. I Felt a little better about stressing everything out that way.

Funny thing is I got a job offer and moved to Dallas not even a month after.

Yes, that's a good time to do the floor! LOL about the move, that's how things go with me too!

I'm guessing my little guy is so happy cause I had him in a 2.5 gallon Pico, then just transplanted that to the 90G when I broke the Pico down. It's like going from a jail cell to a condo!

Okay... I was under the impression that they only snap at prey, but I guess they're just dumb like that. Big weight off my chest! I was seriously scared the stand was about to collapse.

^^ I don't think they snap at pray - many are blind. I think it's a defensive mechanism to scare a predator off... and I'm sure some just do it for fun.

They don't have much control over the swinging pincher thing... it's kind of like a loose hinge. I think it's just a lock/load thing - not something they can actually grab onto things with.