How much to feed??

dynomonkey

Membership Expired
Currently changing from flake food to frozen mysis and brine shrimp. I was told to give them 2 mysis and 1 brine a day but, today I started with just one brine and one mysis and It seemed like a lot of food. Currently have 2 clowns, 2 chromis, 1 blinney, 1 peppermint and of course snails, hermet ect.
What's the recommendation on how much and the process everyone is using. Placed squares in cup with tank water, allowed it to melt and stable temp, then just poured in. Can I just drop the frozen cube in tank and what them fight over it?

Get yourself a turkey baster and feed them with that. That way there will be less waste and you can see how much they are eating. One cube for those fish is more than enough and you can probably feed them half of that and the other half the next night. Melting it in tank water is good. Don't throw the frozen cube in the tank but you may want to add some garlic extreme and vitamins to the water so the food can soak it up. It will help keep your fish's immune systems strong.

Another thing to think about is unless you have a fish that will not eat anything but frozen then you may want to use that as a treat rather than everyday. Try alternating between frozen and pellets.

just my thoughts

there is a good read on feeding this month in the newsletter by matt. check it out

http://www.dfwmas.org/NewsLetter/dfwmas_newsletter2008_02.pdf

I feed my fish and corals a lot...I have 8 fish and they are always fat when I am done feeding them. I have a great cleaner crew and a banded goby that eats deitrius if it appears.

I have lots of flow in my tank and I also skim pretty well. So I think it's better to feed as much as your tank can handle. :)

Interesting thing today, I only used mysis and the fish did not want anything to do with it. Late in the day I used flakes and they went crazy. The only difference is that I added mysis and brime together the first attempt to feeding frozen.

very good read in the newsletter. dealt mostly with feeding corals though (which is something i didn't know needed to be done so often, i was feeding mine just every 3 days or so). right now i have a bristle tooth tang, 2 firefish, and 1 flame angel. my tang seems hungry ALL the time, but i'm afraid of over-feeding as well. i have been alternating with a little flake one day and 1 cube of mysis and one of brine w/spirolina the next day. is this enough for them or am i over feeding the others and under-feeding the tang? i tried tiny pellets, and none of the fish seem to go for them at all.

muufer, i too place the cubes in some tank water in a little cup for about 10-15 minutes and then just dump in the tank. i'm not sure i could use the turkey baster with my fish as they run from it when i feed my corals that way so i cannot possibly see how to feed them with it.

thanks so much!
mandy

i'm currently planning on combining mysis and flake food and then slowly remove flake food. Hopefully blenny doesn't die in the mean time.

@Matt wrote:
It really depends on the fish but my GSM Clown KNOWS where the food comes from. Anytime my turkey baster enters the water said:
Who carries the ORA pellets ?

If you melt the frozen food in tank water, shouldn't you rinse the food before giving it to the fish? I thought the fluid that the food is frozen in might be a bad additive to the tank.

If you feel like you might be over feeding, but have a hard time getting just the right amount in the tank.. Try feeding every other day.

When I used frozen cubes I would take a tiny sharp knife, cut off a chunk of the cube, drop it in a small glass jar w/ tank water.. Wait for it to melt and dump into the tank. That way you're not wasting cubes.